1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Derivative - Not easy for me, though!

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. Derivate x^(2sinx)

3. I used implicit differentiation because there's an x in the base and in the exponent.
    I have all of my work in the picture (if you cant see it in the attachment):

http://i12.tinypic.com/7x1sn44.jpg

I don't get the same answer as the correct answer which is 2cosx(x^2sinx), and I can't figure out why!!

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible the answer is wrong !?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2
    Try substituting t = 2 sin x and you will get x^t where t(x). Differentiate x^t. What are you going to do if you get any t':s in your equation?

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    i'm getting the same answer as you

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4
    ya i just i checked my answer using a graph - its right and the other answer is wrong - thanks!

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5
    anytime :-]

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Whoever provided the 'correct' answer just treated it like d/dx (a^u), which only works for a constant a > 0. When the base of the exponential function is itself a variable or function, logarithmic differentiation is called for, which is what you did. (I sure hope that wasn't a TA or instructor who wrote that 'answer'...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?