Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eating other people in survival situations

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1
    Is it okay for people to eat each other in survival situations such as on rafts at sea, or should we be willing to die instead of stooping so low?
    My own personal thought on this is that when the human body gets desperate for nutrition and water the brain (in most people) shuts down its morality circuits and "squeamishness" circuits and says; "Hey! I don't wanna suffer no more - get munching!" Maybe the prefrontal cortex gets damaged
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=76613503-E7F2-99DF-3E772052740833A2&ref=rss

What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2
    Are they first dead ? If yes, then yes, if no, then no.

4. Mar 24, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Blah, if you can eat them dead, you can eat them alive as well. "Hey, gimme that arm, will you!!" :tongue2:

5. Mar 24, 2007 #4
    I think it's "nicer" to eat something(one) after they die rather than chew on them and listen to the screaming. (Farm stuff)....BUT if I was REALLY starving, I would break their neck first, then chow down...it comes down to a situation that most of us have never been in (nor will ever be).
    How can you know what you would do? You do not.
    You might consider your morality and your convictions, but if it boils down to eat or be eaten, I'd be EATING...

6. Mar 24, 2007 #5

baywax

Gold Member

Say you're drifting alone for too many days. Which part of your own body are you going to start eating?

7. Mar 25, 2007 #6
    Even reading this thread is nauseating. :yuck:

8. Mar 25, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you accept the dictum that in all situations there exists at least one option that it is morally permissible for an individual to make in order to heighten his chances for physical survival, it follows that yes, there may be extreme cases in which it is permissible to eat another person.
    (Of course, that other person will have the same right to eat you).

9. Mar 25, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

If we start answering this questions, I think this thread will get out of control and end up locked. :tongue:

10. Mar 25, 2007 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My left earlobe.
    I have never liked it much.

11. Mar 25, 2007 #10
  12. Mar 25, 2007 #11

radou

Homework Helper

How on earth would you do that?

I'd eat a piece of my bottom, but I don't know how on earth I'd do that.

(Assume, of course, you don't posess any cutting device.)

13. Mar 25, 2007 #12
    Hey radou,do you have any recollections of certain thread yesterday mentioning some "primitive tribes" that inhabit region of Balkan ? :uhh:

14. Mar 25, 2007 #13

radou

Homework Helper

You can't be serious. :tongue:

15. Mar 25, 2007 #14
    I know one thing for sure:I haven't eaten human meat (raw / roasted/cooked) for nutrition purposes yet.Fortunately.
    BTW,few years back I read this book describing true true story of plane crashers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive:_The_Story_of_the_Andes_Survivors

Frightening and fascinating.
    There is a translation of it in Croatian you can get in libraries/bookstores.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  16. Mar 25, 2007 #15

radou

Homework Helper

Really? That's interesting. :biggrin:

17. Mar 25, 2007 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The only reason why we regard eating others as "morally difficult", even when it is our sole chance of physical survival, is that such situations happen to be so rare that our habituation mechanism hasn't been set in motion.

If it were a common-place situation we found ourselves in, we wouldn't think it morally difficult to do so at all. And, we would still have the right to call ourselves moral individuals with a conscience.

18. Mar 25, 2007 #17

baywax

Gold Member

Actually, your body would be eating it's self. Your whole body would be your kidney pie, so to speak:yuck:

19. Mar 25, 2007 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps it is better to have a kidney pie than a meat loaf..

20. Mar 25, 2007 #19
    You could feed yourself and do crude "plastic" surgery at the same time!

21. Mar 26, 2007 #20

radou

Homework Helper

Perhaps that's the beginning of a whole new era of plastic surgery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?