Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eddy current equation question

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    Whenever you stroke a magnet against a plate of copper or another good conductor of electricity you always get a force that opposes the movement of a magnet called and eddy current. What i want to know is can you calculate the repeling force of the eddy current? and if so how? I know that the key to the equation must have something to do with the strength of a magnet, how well the conductor conducts and the relative motion of the magnet or copper plate.

Thanks!!:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2
    Anyone? Can someone please respond?

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3
    You should read about Lenz's law and Faraday's law of mutual induction

5. Sep 4, 2006 #4
    i do not believe that much is known about calculating the resisting force. The faster is moves the more it induces a current which repels it more. I remember observing a good experiment a cylindrical magnet perfectly sized for an aluminium tube, it moved somewhat irregularily, sometimes it went a bit faster and other times a bit slower. But it took 10 times longer to pass through than a regular non-magnet of equivalent shape.
    The structure of the metal is also important in the effect, hole in the metal will effect the flow of the electrons. in essense it creates a circuit via induction. If you want to learn more i suggest you take electromagnetism

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?