Editing Protected Sheets Through Google Apps Scripting

In summary, the conversation is about creating a Google Sheet that acts as a basic ticketing system, with scripts attached to buttons for actions such as claiming tickets and editing details. The person sharing the sheet has concerns about data loss due to carelessness and is wondering if there is a way to protect the sheet to only allow editing via scripts. They are also questioning the use of a real poor man's ticketing system instead.
peterpiper
Does anybody know of a way that I can protect a Google Sheet in such a way that it can only be edited via scripts?

Ultimately I'm putting something together that acts as a very poor man's ticketing system. I have information displayed in a sheet and a set of buttons with scripts attached to them to do actions such as claiming tickets, open/close ticket, edit detail, etc. The last time I shared a sheet like this with multiple people in my workplace, data was lost almost immediately due to carelessness.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Any particular reason why you do not use a real poor man's ticketing system? There are several out there, very nice ones.

What is Google Apps Scripting?

Google Apps Scripting is a scripting language that allows users to automate tasks and customize applications in various Google services, such as Google Sheets.

Can protected sheets be edited through Google Apps Scripting?

Yes, it is possible to edit protected sheets through Google Apps Scripting. However, the script must have the appropriate permissions and be authorized by the user to make changes.

How do I edit a protected sheet using Google Apps Scripting?

To edit a protected sheet through Google Apps Scripting, you will need to use the SpreadsheetApp class and its methods, such as getActiveSheet().getProtections(type), to retrieve and modify the protection settings.

What types of protections can be applied to sheets in Google Sheets?

There are two types of protections that can be applied to sheets in Google Sheets: sheet protections and range protections. Sheet protections restrict editing for the entire sheet, while range protections only restrict editing for specific ranges of cells.

Are there any limitations to editing protected sheets through Google Apps Scripting?

Yes, there are some limitations to editing protected sheets through Google Apps Scripting. For example, you cannot remove sheet protections through scripting, and you cannot edit protected sheets that are owned by a different user.