Will I Get Into University of Kentucky with My Stats?

In summary, the speaker is a senior Electrical Engineering student at Wright State University who will be graduating in March 2011. They have a passion for power systems and are considering pursuing a masters degree in that field. Their undergraduate GPA is 3.01 and their electrical engineering GPA is 3.57. They have been researching graduate schools and are considering the University of Kentucky, which has a strong power program. The speaker's main question is whether their stats are good enough to get into UK, and they plan to take the GRE to boost their chances.
The Operator
Hello all,

I'm a senior Electrical Engineering student at Wright State University in OH and I'll be graduating in March 2011 with my BSEE degree.

I've come to the conclusion that my main area of passion and interest is in power systems and power generation so I'd like to do a masters degree focusing on that, which they don't really have at Wright State - so I'll need to go elsewhere.

My stats:

3.01 for all undergrad (I had some poor study habits at a prior Univ.)
3.43 Wright State
3.57 Electrical Engineering

I've been doing some research on grad schools an the school I think might be my best fit is the University of Kentucky. They have a wonderful power program and I think I might have a more realistic shot of getting into UK than Ohio State, which I was originally thinking of pursuing.

My main question is: Are my stats good enough to get into a school like UK? I plan to take the GRE soon and I'm hoping that doing well on that will boost my chances as well. UK only requires an 1100 GRE so I'm hoping to surpass that by quite a bit. Not a guarantee of course, but I certainly hope I can.

Do I have a chance?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :confused:

What are the average SAT and ACT scores for admission to University of Kentucky?

The average SAT score for admitted students at University of Kentucky is around 1260 out of 1600, and the average ACT score is around 27 out of 36. However, the university takes a holistic approach to admissions and considers other factors such as GPA, extracurricular activities, and personal essays.

Is University of Kentucky a competitive school to get into?

Yes, University of Kentucky is a selective university with an acceptance rate of around 94%. This means that the admissions process is competitive and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

What are the GPA requirements for admission to University of Kentucky?

The average GPA for admitted students at University of Kentucky is around 3.6 on a 4.0 scale. However, the university also considers the rigor of courses taken and any upward trends in grades when reviewing applications.

What is the acceptance rate for out-of-state students at University of Kentucky?

The acceptance rate for out-of-state students at University of Kentucky is slightly lower than the overall acceptance rate at around 92%. This is because the university gives priority to in-state applicants, but there are still plenty of opportunities for out-of-state students to be admitted.

Does University of Kentucky have any specific requirements for certain majors?

Yes, some majors at University of Kentucky may have additional admission requirements such as specific coursework, portfolio submissions, or auditions. It is important to research the requirements for your intended major before applying.