Is Electrical Engineering Employment as Stressful as Schooling?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of studying electrical engineering and the comparison between schooling and employment in the field. The speaker expresses their concerns about the difficulty of their courses and wonders if it will be the same in their future career. The response suggests that learning on-the-job may be less stressful than formal education, and that having a good manager can greatly impact the experience. It is also mentioned that continuing to learn and expand one's skills can lead to more opportunities for advancement.
pete5383
Hey everyone. This might be kind of a weird question, but something I've been thinking about. I'm in my second year of Electrical Engineering, talking basic Circuits courses, diff.Eq, and a Digital Design class, and I have to say, classes are wicked hard. I guess I expected this, but I did very well fairly easily my first year, and now I'm working my butt off pretty much non-stop. Anyways, I guess my question is this: how does actually working in the Electrical Engineering field compare to the schooling for it? I love EE and find it amazingly interesting, but is it going to be this stressful and time consuming my whole life? :bugeye: Haha. Anyways. I guess I was just wondering if anyone has some thoughts on how schooling and employment compare. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't always have to be so bad. In general, learning is harder than doing.

If you intend on achieving everything possible and advancing your career to the limit of current technology, you can expect to continue learning pretty steadily for the next 10 years or so after leaving school -- but learning on-the-job is not generally as stressful as learning in a formal setting, because it's more organic and less structured.

On the other hand, if you're satisfied with learning one role and doing just one kind of work, you can pretty much close your mind and settle into a specific role after a couple of years of work experience. It will pretty much kill any opportunities for advancement (and higher pay), however.

Also, keep in mind that good managers keep their employees challenged and interested, but not overwhelmed. Bad managers drive their employees into the ground. Often, having the right manager makes all the difference between a "wicked hard" job and a pleasant, enjoyable experience.

- Warren

I can provide some insight into this question. First of all, it is completely normal to find your second year of EE schooling more challenging than your first. As you progress in your studies, the material becomes more complex and requires more critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This is a natural progression in any field of study.

In terms of how EE schooling compares to employment, it really depends on the individual and their specific job. Generally, I would say that employment in the EE field involves less theoretical knowledge and more practical application. While you will still need a strong foundation in the principles and theories of EE, you will also be working with real-world problems and finding solutions in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.

It is also important to note that the level of stress and time commitment in employment can vary greatly depending on the company, project, and individual. Some companies may have a more relaxed work culture, while others may have tight deadlines and high-pressure environments. It is important to find a job that aligns with your personal preferences and work style.

Overall, I would say that employment in the EE field can be just as challenging and time-consuming as schooling, but it also offers the opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills in a tangible way. It is important to keep in mind that the hard work and dedication you put into your studies now will ultimately prepare you for a successful career in EE.

1. What are the benefits of getting an EE degree versus going straight into employment?

Getting an EE degree provides a strong foundation in the principles and theories of electrical engineering, as well as hands-on experience through laboratory courses. This can make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities and also give you a deeper understanding of the field. Additionally, having a degree can open up opportunities for higher-paying positions and potential for career growth.

2. Will having an EE degree guarantee employment in the field?

While having an EE degree can certainly make you a more desirable candidate for employment, it does not guarantee a job. It is important to also gain practical experience through internships or co-op positions, as well as networking and building connections in the industry. The job market can also fluctuate, so it's important to be adaptable and continuously build your skills and knowledge.

3. Can I work in the field of electrical engineering without an EE degree?

While having an EE degree is the most direct path to working in the field of electrical engineering, it is not the only path. Some employers may accept candidates with a related degree in a similar field such as computer engineering or physics. However, these candidates may need to supplement their education with additional courses or self-study to gain the necessary skills and knowledge for the job.

4. How does the cost of education for an EE degree compare to the potential earnings in the field?

The cost of obtaining an EE degree can vary depending on the institution and program, but it is generally a significant investment. However, the potential earnings in the field of electrical engineering are typically high, making the return on investment worth it for many individuals. It is important to research the market demand and potential salary for EE jobs in your area before making a decision.

5. Is it better to start working in the field of electrical engineering and then go back to school for a degree, or vice versa?

This decision ultimately depends on individual circumstances and goals. Some individuals may benefit from gaining practical experience in the field before pursuing a degree, as they may have a better understanding of their interests and goals. Others may prefer to obtain a degree first to have a strong foundation and make themselves more competitive in the job market. It's important to carefully consider your own priorities and goals before making a decision.