1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EECS: Find i_0 in a circuit with 4 resistors and 1 indep. current source

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    (a) Using nodal analysis, determine [itex]i_0[/itex] in the circuit.

(b) Now use linearity to find [itex]i_0[/itex].

Work so far:

KCL@[itex]v_1[/itex]: [tex]\frac{v_1\,-\,0}{3\,\ohm}\,+\,\frac{v_1\,-\,0}{6\,\ohm}\,+\,\frac{v_1\,-\,v_2}{2\,\ohm}\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL@[itex]v_2[/itex]: [tex]\frac{v_2\,-\,v_1}{2\,\ohm}\,+\,\frac{v_2\,-\,0}{4\,\ohm}\,+\,9A\,=\,0[/tex]

Whe I put these two equaitons into a 3 X 2 coefficient matrix, I get

Then I plug into the first equation:

Is this the correct value for [itex]i_0[/itex] or have I got the sign wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2
    You are repeating the same mistake here as you did in the previous exercise.
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    What is that, can you explain?
  5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

The sign on the 9A is wrong. The other two terms in that KCL are for currents *out* of the node. So since the 9A is into the node, it has to be -9A in that equation. Makes sense?
  6. Oct 3, 2006 #5
    OIC! There has to be a minus in there somewhere if all of the terms are on one side and it's equal to zero. Whoops!

Using your correction:

KCL @ [itex]v_2[/itex]: [tex]\frac{v_2\,-\,v_1}{2\,\ohm}\,+\,\frac{v_2\,-\,0}{4\,\ohm}\,-\,9A\,=\,0[/tex]

Which switches the signs on the [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex]!

7. Oct 4, 2006 #6
    Yes, that's much better. And be careful when you formulate the KCLs next time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?