Difference between EEE, BSET, BSEE & EET: Transfer Credits to 4-Year College?

• Thread starter Strix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eee
In summary: If you are looking to go into a specific field, then you may want to consider a BSEE or BEEE program. However, if your main goal is to use technology in your career, then a BSEET may be enough.
Strix
Could summon please kindly explain the difference's between

an EEE

an BSET

an BSEE

and if i get a Associates degree in Electronic Engineering Technology, or EET from a Reputable Technical College can i Transfer that to a 4 year college which recognizes those credits full and then take 2 Years to customize my field of learning and turn it into a Bachelor Science of Electrical Engineering?

or do i need to start off in a Program directly for Electrical Engineering degree?

or can someone give me a list of what courses or types of courses are necessary to take to obtain a BSEE, BSET, EEE... between the scams... the false information on the internet I haven't a clue about any of it and seek the help of true professionals that know

So if you could please help I would very much appreciate it even if it only answers 1 of my questions id be 1 step closer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend that if you wish to do new innovative research/development, that you begin a BSEE or BEEE program at the start. Then continue into the MSEE. Once employed, you may consider a Ph.D. EE, but that is a ways down the road.

If your plan is to do application types of work, i.e. using current technology as opposed to pushing the envelope into new areas, then a BSEET may suffice. But keep in mind that the BSEET is a terminal degree. To advance into a master or doctoral program, one should start with a full EE degree.

If you have the math & science aptitude, then go for the full EE. It will give you more options in industry and grad school. The number of people today with bachelor degrees (all majors/fields) is pretty great, and the job market is saturated with candidates holding a BS in whatever field. To gain a competitive advantage, an MS really helps, and better yet, a Ph.D.

Again, if you do not intend to do leading edge r&d, a BSEET may be enough. But, if you decide later on that you want to do more innovative type work, you will need to get more education, and will likely have to seek a full EE. The course work, not only electrical, but math & physics as well, cannot directly transfer. For a full EE you will need Calculus, diff eqn, physics, thermodynamics, statics, mechanics, dynamics, chemistry, etc. It will take years to get the full EE if you work full time and study at night.

So for now, if you have the math and science grades for a full EE, go for it. Then go for an MS. I hope I've helped. I went for the BEEE out of high school then the MSEE shortly after. I returned to school 27 yrs. later in 2007 for the Ph.D. I have 2 more courses left to take, and my dissertation.

Also, regarding the difference between the BEEE & BSEE, it is as follows. The BEEE (Bachelor of Engineering in Elec Engr) involvesa few more courses than the BSEE (Bach Science Elec Engr). But the difference is around 8-10 trimester hours or 10-15 quarter hours. The BEEE is a little longer, but not a whole lot. The BSEET is less math intense and does not delve into the theory as deeply as the BSEE or BEEE. BSEET does not cover electromagnetics, controls, or complex math to the extent of the BS/BEEE. Talk to your advisors. But if you have the science & math capability, just go for the BSEE or BEEE.

Claude

Last edited:
I am currently in a program getting my ASEET, my state institute of technology has a transfer program that allows me to transfer with junior status with no bridge courses into their BSEET degree program. Once I've attained my BSEET they have a Post-Baccalaureate BSEE I can get for just another 36 Credits. The only difference between the degrees is 3 more math classes and general chemistry plus a handful of technical electives. I plan on getting my associates and finding a job, then concurrently work towards my BSEET, then my BSEE, then an MBA. Hopefully all the while with tuition reimbursement ; )
I think in the end, it allows me to reach the academic goals I've set for myself while still providing for my family at the same time.

Last edited:
Be very sure that what you are saying is true, and that you can move from a technical degree to an engineering degree without having to do 4 years of college again. Do not believe everyone, call accredited universities schools and ask.

One thing to remember. There are no shortcuts in education.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, that the schools and the programs I am working with, that this path (ASEET to BSEET to BSEE) is possible and ABET accredited. The schools worked together to design it that way. It does seem that the BSEET degree from the school I will be attending is a bit more rigorous than other schools, but that is because it closely mirrors the BSEE program with a little less math and more focused technical electives.
But you are correct, if anyone is looking to follow this path make sure you check with your school, the counselors, and the program directors before you proceed so you're not wasting your time toward your final goals.

Also, I am not sure how any of this would be considered a shortcut? It's quite a few more technical classes than a standard BSEE program would be, if anything it would be the long way around. If I had the luxury of not working for 4 years straight I would much rather go straight through an EE program, but I have a family to consider and this allows me to reach my goals while still taking care of my family. Granted it will take me an extra year to year and a half complete but I don't feel in any way that this would be an inferior way to go about obtaining such a degree.

Last edited:
deadkitty said:
I can tell you with 100% certainty, that the schools and the programs I am working with, that this path (ASEET to BSEET to BSEE) is possible and ABET accredited. The schools worked together to design it that way. It does seem that the BSEET degree from the school I will be attending is a bit more rigorous than other schools, but that is because it closely mirrors the BSEE program with a little less math and more focused technical electives.
But you are correct, if anyone is looking to follow this path make sure you check with your school, the counselors, and the program directors before you proceed so you're not wasting your time toward your final goals.

Also, I am not sure how any of this would be considered a shortcut? It's quite a few more technical classes than a standard BSEE program would be, if anything it would be the long way around. If I had the luxury of not working for 4 years straight I would much rather go straight through an EE program, but I have a family to consider and this allows me to reach my goals while still taking care of my family. Granted it will take me an extra year to year and a half complete but I don't feel in any way that this would be an inferior way to go about obtaining such a degree.

Hey Deadkitty,

I didn't mean to sound like you are taking a shortcut. I was just underlining the issue addressed in your second paragraph. Many students start doing a technical degree thinking is equivalent to an engineering degree. This is a mistake. However, if there are other reasons besides preference and vocation (good reasons themselves to pursue a technical degree) to study a technical degree and then proceed to get the engineering degree that is fine as well. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between EEE, BSET, BSEE, and EET?

EEE stands for Electrical and Electronics Engineering, BSET stands for Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology, BSEE stands for Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, and EET stands for Electrical Engineering Technology. These are all related fields, but they have some key differences in terms of focus and application.

2. How do these programs differ in terms of curriculum?

EEE and BSEE programs typically have a more theoretical and math-intensive curriculum, focusing on the principles and theories of electrical engineering. BSET and EET programs, on the other hand, have a more hands-on and practical approach, with a focus on applied skills and technical knowledge.

3. Can transfer credits be applied between these programs?

In most cases, transfer credits can be applied between these programs, but it ultimately depends on the specific courses and requirements of the receiving institution. It is important to check with the transfer credit policies of the 4-year college you are interested in attending.

4. Which program is best for someone interested in pursuing a career in electrical engineering?

It really depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in a more hands-on and practical approach, then BSET or EET may be a better fit. If you prefer a more theoretical and math-intensive curriculum, then EEE or BSEE may be a better option.

5. Are there any specific job opportunities that are unique to each of these programs?

While there may be some job opportunities that are more commonly associated with a specific program, such as a BSET graduate working as an engineering technologist or a BSEE graduate working as an electrical engineer, there is often overlap in job opportunities and it ultimately depends on the individual's skills and experience.