1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of centrifigual force on a gavity bound object

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    is there a relation between the density of a sphere spinning at a given rate and the degree by which the minor axis shrinks?
    if there is a relation, what is it.
    thanks a lot

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That will depend very much on the elasticity of the sphere.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    The faster the sphere spins, the less dense the sphere is. It seems to be proportional to the length of the minor axis.

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4
    assuming though that i have two spheres made of the same material, would the differing densities make a difference?
    also, i think that pixel you misunderstood. i realize that as it spins it should get more dense as the volume is shrinking, but that is not my question.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. Sep 3, 2008 #5
    I dont think gravity has much to do with it. its a GRAVITY bound sphere. it would form an ellipsoid. the denser the object the stronger the gravity so yes for any given rotation rate the degree of flattening will be less.

i presume this is about the neutron star you mentioned in your other post.

7. Sep 3, 2008 #6
    i realized that this would happen. i just do not know by how much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook