Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of ntype/ptype dose increase on the pn diode breakdown.

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    I was hoping someone could answer my question.

So i am wondering ..lets say i have a p-n diode. What happens if i increase the dose of the p-side of this junction . What happens to the reverse breakdown of this diode? People say that the reverse breakdown decreases when you increase the dose. Can someone please explain to me why it decreases?

Thank you very much. I searched all over the internet for this answer and i couldnt find it

Tik.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The key search terms for the reverse breakdown would be Zener and Avalanche. Using a google search for Zener breakdown versus doping gives you lots of good hits. Here is the 2nd hit:

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_2/breakdown/breakdown.html

4. May 21, 2010 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Yes that's correct. Increasing the doping level in a pn diode causes the depletion region to become narrower. That is, the reverse voltage is blocked over a smaller distance hence the peak electric field is larger for a given reverse voltage.

5. May 25, 2010 #4
    Thank you very much for your help guys.... i think i get it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook