Effect of ntype/ptype dose increase on the pn diode breakdown.

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of increasing the dose of the p-side of a pn diode on the reverse breakdown of the diode. It is mentioned that the reverse breakdown decreases when the dose is increased due to the narrowing of the depletion region. The reason for this is explained as the peak electric field becoming larger for a given reverse voltage. The conversation also mentions searching for information on the internet and finding an explanation for the reverse breakdown phenomenon.
iamlovelyboy
Hello,
I was hoping someone could answer my question.

So i am wondering ..lets say i have a p-n diode. What happens if i increase the dose of the p-side of this junction . What happens to the reverse breakdown of this diode? People say that the reverse breakdown decreases when you increase the dose. Can someone please explain to me why it decreases?

Thank you very much. I searched all over the internet for this answer and i couldn't find it

Tik.

Engineering news on Phys.org
iamlovelyboy said:
Hello,

So i am wondering ..lets say i have a p-n diode. What happens if i increase the dose of the p-side of this junction . What happens to the reverse breakdown of this diode? People say that the reverse breakdown decreases when you increase the dose. Can someone please explain to me why it decreases?

Thank you very much. I searched all over the internet for this answer and i couldn't find it

Tik.

The key search terms for the reverse breakdown would be Zener and Avalanche. Using a google search for Zener breakdown versus doping gives you lots of good hits. Here is the 2nd hit:

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_2/breakdown/breakdown.html

iamlovelyboy said:
Hello,

Tik.

Yes that's correct. Increasing the doping level in a pn diode causes the depletion region to become narrower. That is, the reverse voltage is blocked over a smaller distance hence the peak electric field is larger for a given reverse voltage.

Thank you very much for your help guys... i think i get it.

Related to Effect of ntype/ptype dose increase on the pn diode breakdown.

1. What is a pn diode breakdown?

A pn diode breakdown is a phenomenon in which the voltage applied to a pn junction exceeds its breakdown voltage, causing a sudden and significant increase in current flow. This can result in permanent damage to the diode.

2. How does increasing the ntype/ptype dose affect pn diode breakdown?

Increasing the ntype/ptype dose can affect the pn diode breakdown by altering the characteristics of the pn junction. This can change the breakdown voltage and the overall performance of the diode.

3. What is the relationship between ntype/ptype dose and pn diode breakdown?

The relationship between ntype/ptype dose and pn diode breakdown is not always straightforward. In some cases, increasing the dose can improve the breakdown voltage and overall performance of the diode. However, in other cases, it can lead to a decrease in performance and increase the risk of breakdown.

4. How do you measure the effect of ntype/ptype dose on pn diode breakdown?

The effect of ntype/ptype dose on pn diode breakdown can be measured by conducting breakdown voltage tests on diodes with varying doses. The results can then be compared to determine the impact of the dose on the breakdown characteristics.

5. Are there any other factors besides ntype/ptype dose that can affect pn diode breakdown?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect pn diode breakdown, such as temperature, impurities in the material, and the geometry of the diode. It is important to consider these factors in addition to ntype/ptype dose when studying the effect on pn diode breakdown.