Effect of Spline Coupling on Rotordynamics

• Thread starter minger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, the conversation revolves around a compressor rig powered by an air turbine that keeps breaking. The speaker has been asked to review the rotordynamics for the entire system, including the effect of the turbine and spline couplings. They are looking for any experience or papers on the topic, but have found that the relevant websites are down. The two approaches being considered are a Transfer-Matrix method using a program like Dyrobes or finite element analysis using ANSYS. The L/D ratios for the couplings are discussed, with one being about 1.67 and the other closer to 1. The speaker also offers their experience with compressor rigs and splines, mentioning a catastrophic failure caused by a bad spline design.
minger
Science Advisor
Ok, so we're running a compressor rig powered by an air turbine that keeps breaking. I've been asked to review the rotordynamics for the entire system. Prior to my employment, the compressor shaft itself was evaluated, however they want the effect of the turbine and the spline couplings to be included in the model.

My question is if anyone has any experience in this, or even a paper on the topic. I googled and found what seems to be a decent paper titled
Effect of coulomb spline on rotor dynamic response
Which SHOULD be available on the NASA technical report server, but the entire site is down.

I also found a paper titled
DDM Rotordynamic Design Sensitivity Analysis of an APU Turbogenerator Having a Spline Connection
but unfortunately that paper didn't indicate (probably purposely) how the actual connection was modeled.

So, I have two approaches. The first is a Transfer-Matrix method using a program such as Dyrobes (XLRotor, etc). This assumes that everything is a cone/cylinder and computes everything analytically. In that case, I will need to define a "bearing" stiffness/damping value to connect the shafts.

The second approach is finite element using ANSYS. In this case I would connect the two shafts using...? I'm guess it would have to be contact elements. I would assume that coupling equations would be "too stiff". Either way, I'm sure that a damping value would need to somehow be input.

So, I will stop rambling thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some questions to start with:

What kind of spline? What are the L/D for the coupler to engagement length?

The spline is an involute with 12 teeth with a +0.0002" profile error.

Using the pitch diameter, the L/D for the compressor coupling is about 1.67.

One the air turbine side it's a little trickier because all I have is a 2D layout, no model, no actual drawings. From what I can tell though, it seems closer to 1.0, possibly around 1.16.

I am not one who gets to do rotordynamics, so I can't help you on that end other than what I have learned from talking with the guys here who do it who take the first method you mentioned as the analytical approach.

What I can do, if desired, is share my design experience in a lot of compressor rigs and splines. I have had the displeasure of living through a catastrophic failure that was attributed to a bad spline design.

I can tell you right now that, from where I am sitting, the L/D is too big on the one end. I do my darnedest to keep it <1.

Can you go into any more detail on the failure or the design specifics of the coupler? Are they straight or crowned splines? Are the two ends approximately the same size?

I've been comparing the two rotordynamic approaches recently, and I've started definitely leaning towards FEA, for two main reasons.

1 - Making changes to a Dyrobes model is a PITA. Since each little section is a cylinder, if you make one small change, then you pretty much have to redo the entire thing. With ANSYS, if I make my input file decent, then all I need to do is define my components and hit start. Solution time is a little longer, but iteration time is orders of magnitudes shorter.

2 - Uncertainty of Solution. When I use Dyrobes, I know that the program doesn't care what the shaft looks like. All it cares is that substation i, has mass: x, I: y, and substation i+1... In other words, it doesn't care if there are "weak" sections in the shaft that occur from either holes or whatever. I recently came across an issue where we had a shaft where there was a very small piece of material holding together two shafts. Analytically the moments of inertia were simliar, so that approach didn't pick up on it. ANSYS did though, and you could see some massive strain in that section.

But I digress. Basically the failure has been in the air turbine each time. It has been an array of problems ranging from bearing issues (theirs not ours) to clearance problems, so on and so on.

We're just trying to see if there is anything going on dynamically that we didn't predict the first time. As far as the coupler..let me see if I can find a drawing.

OK, I don't think I know exactly what you're referring to with straight vs crowning, however if crowning in splines means the same thing as in gears, then yes, they're crowned, by what appears to be 30°.

And yes, the two ends 'are' the same size. The coupler has one internal and one external spline.

Thanks Fred,

1. What is a spline coupling?

A spline coupling is a mechanical device used to connect two shafts together in order to transmit torque and rotational motion.

2. How does spline coupling affect rotordynamics?

Spline coupling can have a significant impact on the rotordynamics of a system. It can introduce additional stiffness and damping, which can affect the natural frequencies and mode shapes of the system.

3. What factors influence the effect of spline coupling on rotordynamics?

The effect of spline coupling on rotordynamics can be influenced by several factors, such as the type and design of the coupling, the material properties, and the alignment and installation of the coupling.

4. Can spline coupling improve rotordynamic performance?

In some cases, spline coupling can improve rotordynamic performance by reducing vibration levels and increasing system stability. However, it is important to carefully consider the design and installation of the coupling to ensure positive effects.

5. How can the effect of spline coupling on rotordynamics be evaluated?

The effect of spline coupling on rotordynamics can be evaluated through analytical calculations, finite element analysis, and experimental testing. It is important to consider all aspects of the coupling and its interaction with the system in order to accurately assess its effect.