Effective Commercials: Simple Ads that Really Work

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, this series has been great because it gets your attention and you know what it's for. Often, I see a great commercial and then realize I have no idea what they are selling!
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some commercials are memorable or funny or shocking. But every now and then I see a very simple commercial that really works.

This commercial struck me that way. It definitely makes me want a grilled cheese. This afternoon I found myself in the kitchen and humming this stupid tune in my head. And I don't even eat bread!

• Haha
Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
This afternoon I found myself in the kitchen and humming this stupid tune in my head.

Lol. . . I think you've heard that tune before . . 😉

OCR said:

Heh, I guess. It still doesn't sound like the same song. But it definitely gave me an ear worm...and I don't have any Ivermectin for ears!

• Haha
Likes OCR
Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, I guess. It still doesn't sound like the same song. But it definitely gave me an ear worm...and I don't have any Ivermectin for ears!
Well, back to chloroquine then.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Ivan Seeking
This is another that definitely works. BLEH!

OCR said:

PS. That was always a favorite of mine. And all these years later I still remember ALL of the lyrics.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 9.30.13 AM.png

Opps, wrong thread. Its a lame joke.

This was a nifty one. . . the music made it. . . :smile:

Likes Ivan Seeking
Apple 1984 is widely considered to be the best commercial ever made in the US

Likes phinds
A friend once reported an advertisement at a movie theater. The setup was a filming scene. The director told his cameramen: "Look! We can only blow up the house once, so we will film it with three cameras." Then they blasted the building and the director shouted: "Camera 1, do you have it?" - "Sorry, boss, the trainee tumbled and the power line slipped out of the socket." - "Camera 2, do you have it?" - "Sorry, boss, I forgot the film reel." - "Camera 3, now it's all on you!" - "O.k., boss, we can go!"

Everybody laughed, but nobody remembered the product that was advertised.

I tend to categorize ads into: 'Annoying!', 'How stupid do they think I am?', and 'Why the heck does this slogan has to be English / wrong English?'

fresh_42 said:
I tend to categorize ads into: 'Annoying!', 'How stupid do they think I am?', and 'Why the heck does this slogan has to be English / wrong English?'
I get a kick out of some commercials. Some are funny! I also like trying to figure out the psychology of the creators. One time I happened to be flying next to a person who directed many well-known commercials. We ended up talking about his work for hours. It was quite fascinating. One commercial in particular came up because I always objected to the message it gave to kids. He had directed this commercial. I said I thought the message to kids was that it pays to cheat. He groaned because they had argued about that and decided that wouldn't be the message that came across. LOL!

Now here is a commercial that has great utility - from my first post in the first YouTube Classics thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/youtube-classics.139370/

I can't recall when a commercial ever motivated me to get something, other than to get away from it. Hey, I'm not normal.

Likes Astronuc and Mondayman
Hornbein said:
I can't recall when a commercial ever motivated me to get something, other than to get away from it. Hey, I'm not normal.
What about name recognition?

There are great products that just require exposure. You have NEVER purchased a new product you saw advertised?

I saw the prices on The Dollar Shave Club and I've been a member for about 15 years now, I think. That cut the cost of my razors in half [which were insanely expensive]

Hornbein said:
I can't recall when a commercial ever motivated me to get something
That was the plan.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking

What's in a name?

1632084567543.jpeg

Surprising commercial! Elton John in an Uber Eats commercial?? Wow!

I think this entire series has been good; esp with those with Mark Hamill and Patrick Stewart

I think these work extremely well because they get and keep your attention and you know what it's for. Often I see a great commercial and then realize I have no idea what they are selling! LOL!

1. What makes a commercial effective?

A commercial is considered effective when it is able to capture the attention of the target audience, convey a clear message, and persuade them to take action, such as purchasing a product or service.

2. How do simple ads work better than complex ones?

Simple ads are more memorable and easier for the audience to understand. They also have a higher chance of being shared and talked about, leading to increased brand awareness.

3. What elements should be included in a simple yet effective commercial?

A simple and effective commercial should have a strong and catchy headline, a clear and concise message, a call to action, and eye-catching visuals. It should also align with the target audience's interests and values.

4. Can a commercial be effective without being expensive?

Yes, a commercial does not need to have a high production cost to be effective. In fact, some of the most successful commercials are simple and low-budget. What matters most is the creativity and effectiveness of the message.

5. How do you measure the effectiveness of a commercial?

The effectiveness of a commercial can be measured through various metrics, such as sales, brand awareness, website traffic, and social media engagement. Surveys and focus groups can also be used to gather feedback from the target audience.