Effects of Air Resistance on Simple Harmonic Motion Graphs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Momentum09
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I'm given the position vs. time, velocity vs. time, acceleration vs. time, and energy vs. time graphs for a simple harmonic motion, and I want to know what would happen to those graphs if air resistance is included?


Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm thinking that when air resistance is included, the amplitudes would decrease for all of these graphs. Does the damping phenomenon apply to all, or just the energy vs. time graph?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You would be correct in thinking that all graphs decrease in amplitude. What made you think it only applied to energy vs time?
 
When there is not air resistance, potential energy is completely transformed into kinetic energy with each successive period. However, when air resistance is present, a fraction of the energy is lost and cannot be converted into kinetic energy.