Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects of applying higher voltage to pic16F88

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    i was testing my pic microcontroller (16F88) but i forgot about the maximum voltage and applied 7volts to it. The microcontroller did not give me the expected result.To me it looks like it does not work but when i connect it to the programmer i am able to reprogram and even read from its flash memory. I want to know whether i have spoilt the microcontroller as a result of the 7volts.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2
    I think its fine. It simply wont operate on 7v. Hence why it seems not to work. Input the proper voltage. 5V I would suggest, and I think you will find that it is not damaged.

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    Thanks HickmanENG. I used 4Volts and it worked (when i set the states of the pins) . But i want to toggle the state of pin 0 of port B (RB0) and whenever i do that with about 2seconds delay the pin only remains in one state.
    Please note that:
    I am using the internal oscillator of the micocontroller.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

I have seen ICs that work to some extent, but fail to do other things.

They are just a collection of components and it depends on what failed when you put too much voltage on it.

I hope your IC is OK, but I suggest you get another one and try it with the same program in it and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook