Egg Drop Contests: Try Attaching a Parachute to a Hen!

In summary, the conversation involves a person coming up with a solution to the challenge of dropping an egg from a high height and having it survive. They suggest attaching a parachute or parawing to a pregnant hen, and question whether they can patent this idea. The conversation also mentions a similar idea from a TV show, and the person shares their own experience of using a box lid with duct tape to win an egg drop competition.
Danger
Gold Member
Stop the presses!
I've just come up with the perfect solution to the classic engineering challenge of dropping an egg from some hideous height and having it survive. Nothing that I've seen in any rules precludes it, and I can't believe that nobody has done it (or at least wasn't publicized as doing so).
Attach a large parachute or parawing to a pregnant hen and let 'er go. The combination of artificial floatation and rudimentary wings should cause a pretty casual descent, and the container is designed by its evolution from its dinosaur ancestors to protect eggs.
Can I patent this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here was a "similar", well not so similar, idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST01bZJPuE0

I urge anyone who is too young to remember the show to find a full version of that episode. It is perhaps the funniest scripted thing that I've ever seen in my life. (Carson had a couple of ad lib moments that match it. {Dom DeLuise, Burt Reynolds, leather pants, whipped cream, and raw eggs comes to mind...})

Danger said:
Stop the presses!
I've just come up with the perfect solution to the classic engineering challenge of dropping an egg from some hideous height and having it survive. Nothing that I've seen in any rules precludes it, and I can't believe that nobody has done it (or at least wasn't publicized as doing so).
Attach a large parachute or parawing to a pregnant hen and let 'er go. The combination of artificial floatation and rudimentary wings should cause a pretty casual descent, and the container is designed by its evolution from its dinosaur ancestors to protect eggs.
Can I patent this?

Most rules that I've competed by preclude the use of parachutes and wings. That being said, in 8th grade, I took the top of a box lid that fit the largest dimensions allowable (24" x 36") with a low lip around the edge (about 2") and just attached the egg to the center with a single piece of duct tape.

You could argue that it was a defacto parachute, but I was not disqualified and my egg survived the most drops of any egg drop contraption (greater than 10, certainly) with only a replacement piece of duct tape. My younger brother used the same technique a few years ago to, again, win the competition and made it into the local newspaper for the simplicity of his solution.

Too cool, Flex! :approve:

1. How do egg drop contests work?

In egg drop contests, participants are tasked with creating a contraption that can protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height. The egg must remain intact after being dropped and the contraption cannot exceed a certain size or weight limit.

2. What materials can be used in an egg drop contest?

Participants can use a variety of materials such as paper, straws, tape, cotton balls, and balloons to create their contraption. However, the materials cannot be pre-made or pre-assembled, and must be put together on the spot.

3. How does attaching a parachute to a hen help in an egg drop contest?

Attaching a parachute to a hen can help slow down the descent of the egg, reducing the impact and increasing the chances of the egg remaining intact. The hen's feathers also act as a cushion, further protecting the egg from breaking upon impact.

4. Are there any rules for attaching a parachute to a hen in an egg drop contest?

Yes, there are usually rules in place for attaching a parachute to a hen. The parachute cannot be pre-made or pre-assembled and must be attached to the hen on the spot. The hen must also be handled gently and not harmed in any way during the contest.

5. What is the success rate of attaching a parachute to a hen in an egg drop contest?

The success rate of attaching a parachute to a hen in an egg drop contest can vary depending on the design of the parachute and the height of the drop. However, in general, it can significantly increase the chances of the egg remaining intact compared to not using a parachute at all.