1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunction Do I just plug in the f(x) equation into T(f)?

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    The problem is attached.

I am not quite sure how to do the 3 parts.

for part a:

Do I just plug in the f(x) equation into T(f)?
    If so that gives me k2ekx-2*kekx-3ekx
    I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
    Re: Eigenfunction

What does it mean to be an eigenfunction? If you apply a linear differential operator to one of its eigenfunctions, what should the result be?

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

The question defines an operator, T, which acts on functions f(x), which have two derivatives. If you apply the operator T to some function g(x) and you find that ##Tg(x) = \lambda g(x)## for some number ##\lambda##, then g(x) would be called an eigenfunction of the operator T, because the operator acts on g(x) and gives back g(x) times a constant.

The question tells you to apply the operator T to the function f(x) = exp(kx), and asks you to show that it is an eigenfunction. You applied T to the function f(x) and got the result that you listed in your post; now you just have to manipulate that expression into the form ##\mbox{(some constant that depends on}~k) \times f(x)##.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

All eigenvalue problems have the form T f(x)= t f(x), where t is a constant. If you have an operator and it acts on a function in this way, you have an eigenfunction and eigenvalue.

So for a.) you have to show that the eigenvalue exists for all values of k in the eigenfunction.

Part b.) kind of follows from part a.) at least I think, unless I'm missing something.

Part c.) involves some guessing. Find a function that satisfies that equation.

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5

Thanks so for k2ekx-2*kekx-3ekx
    this would be ekx(k^2-2k-3)=ekx(k-3)(k+1)
    But hwo does that "show for each value of k, the function f(x) is an eigenfunction for T?"

7. Nov 5, 2012 #6

So your eigenvalue for that function is (k-3)(k+1). For any value of k this is a well-defined function for the eigenvalue. Thus e^kx is an eigenfunction for all k.

8. Nov 5, 2012 #7

I'm not quite sure if i understand why this means for all values of k, this is a well defined function for the eigenvalue.

9. Nov 5, 2012 #8

So I labeled my eigenvalue in the first post as t, a number. You found t(k)=(k-3)(k+1). This function is well-defined for all k.

Lets say that you found t(k)=(k-3)/(k+1). At k=-1 you have t=-4/0 which is infinite or undefined.

The eigenvalue you found has no problems in its range like this. So it is well-defined for all values of k.

10. Nov 5, 2012 #9

Oh I see I think I understand this, thanks. I'll take a look at the other parts now.

11. Nov 7, 2012 #10

So for part b)
    Since e^kx(k^2-2k-3)=e^kx(k-3)(k+1)

Does that mean the eigen values are just k=3 and k=-1?

12. Nov 7, 2012 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. You need to learn what an eigenvalue and an eigenfunction are instead of just guessing. What does your book say?

13. Nov 7, 2012 #12

There's one section that says:
    Let V be a vector space
    and T:V −→ V be a linear operator. A number λ is an eigenvalue of T provided
    that there is a nonzero vector v in V such that T (v) = λv. Every nonzero vector that
    satisfies this equation is an eigenvector of T corresponding to the eigenvalue λ.

Nothing is said about eigenfunctions, so I guess I have to apply this definition.

T(v)=e^kx(k^2-2k-3)=e^kx(k-3)(k+1)=λe^kx
    Canceling out e^kx
    gives λ=(k-3)(K+1)

Doesn't that mean the eigenvalues are λ=3, -1?

14. Nov 7, 2012 #13

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, why would it? How are you going from ##\lambda = (k-3)(k+1)## to ##\lambda=3, -1##?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. Nov 7, 2012 #14

hmmm, I wish setting lambda=0, which is incorrect.
    Hmmm λ=(k-3)(k+1)=k^2-2k-3

Does this mean lamba is all real numbers?

So when it says Find the corresponding eigenvalues for each
    eigenfunction f (x) = e^kx.

Basically lamda is all real values?

16. Nov 7, 2012 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Remember k represents a specific value. For each possible value of k, ekx is an eigenfunction of T. For example, if k=2, then you have f(x)=e2x, and the corresponding eigenvalue is ##\lambda = -3##. Your answer to (b) is what you wrote: λ=(k-3)(k+1).

If you want to know what the possible eigenvalues of T are, think about what the allowed values of k are and what values of ##\lambda## these correspond to. Hint: If you plotted ##\lambda## vs. k, what kind of curve would you get?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  17. Nov 7, 2012 #16

Did you mean lambda=-3?

I would be a parabolic curve. k can be all real #s as a previous user stated. Lambda would be all real #s. But I am unsure how I would describe lambda for each eigenfunction? Lambda is a parabolic function of all real k values.

18. Nov 7, 2012 #17

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oops, yes.

I edited my previous post, and it probably answers your question now.

19. Nov 8, 2012 #18

Thanks.

I guess this λ=(k-3)(k+1)=k^2-2k-3
    Pretty much answers part a and b.

Since it's saying that for all k, the function f(x)=e^(kx) is an eigenfunction because k can be any real #.

For part b, lambda=k^2-2k-3

for part c, is that just a differential equation? (First time seeing a diff eq in linear algebra)

If so then the characteristic equation for it is r^2-2r-3=0
    (r-3)(r+1)=0
    r=-1, 3

so the 2 functions are
    y(t)=Ae^(-t)
    G(t)=Be^(3t)
    Where A and B are constants.

20. Nov 8, 2012 #19

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can find the answer to (c) that way, but it's probably not what was intended. How might you answer (c) based on the other parts of the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook