Eigenfunctions of spin operator

In summary, the conversation is about the eigenfunctions of the spin operators. The participants discuss the spin operators and their mathematical formulation using Pauli matrices. They also mention the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the spin operators, but there is confusion about the eigenfunctions. One participant suggests spin spherical harmonics as the eigenfunctions and provides sources for further reading. Another participant clarifies that these eigenfunctions are different from the Pauli matrices and are functions of the three Euler angles.
function22
What are the eigenfunctions of the spin operators? I know the spin operators are given by Pauli matricies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_operator#Mathematical_formulation_of_spin), and I know what the eigenvalues are (and the eigenvectors), but I have no idea what the eigenfunctions of the spin operator are. I searched google but I could not find a derivation. Does anyone know how to find the eigenfunctions of the spin operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean spin spherical harmonics? These are the functions that represent finite rotations in spin space, half-integer analogs to the Ylm's. They're briefly mentioned in Wikipedia, covered more in this article, and especially in books on angular momentum, like the monograph by Edmonds.

Like the Pauli matricies Sx, Sy, Sz, I know the eigenvalues/eigenvectors, but what are the eigenfunctions? I have no idea what they could be.

The spin space is an abstract finite dimensional (essentially C^(2s+1)) vector space. There are no <wavefunctions>, just normal quadratic matrices and matrices with one column.

Like the Pauli matricies Sx, Sy, Sz, I know the eigenvalues/eigenvectors, but what are the eigenfunctions?
No, NOT like the Pauli matrices. The Pauli matrices are the generators. I'm referring to the matrix functions that represent finite rotations. They are functions in the sense that they are functions of the three Euler angles. And they are eigenfunctions of S and Sz.

What is the spin operator in quantum mechanics?

The spin operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol S and is a vector operator that gives information about the direction and magnitude of a particle's spin.

What is the significance of eigenfunctions of spin operator?

Eigenfunctions of spin operator are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the possible states of a particle's spin. These eigenfunctions are also known as spin states and are used to describe the spin of particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

How are eigenfunctions of spin operator related to spin measurements?

Eigenfunctions of spin operator are directly related to spin measurements. When a spin measurement is performed on a particle, the result is an eigenvalue of the spin operator. The corresponding eigenfunction represents the state of the particle's spin after the measurement.

What is the difference between spin up and spin down states?

Spin up and spin down states are two possible eigenfunctions of the spin operator. They represent the two opposite directions of a particle's spin, with spin up being aligned with the direction of the spin operator and spin down being aligned in the opposite direction.

How do you calculate the eigenfunctions of spin operator?

The eigenfunctions of spin operator can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as matrix diagonalization or the use of ladder operators. These methods help to find the possible spin states and their corresponding eigenvalues for a given particle.