Eigenkets of a function of a hermitian operator

In summary, the question is whether for a hermitian operator A, the function f(A) has the same eigenkets as A. Some classmates believe this is true and simplifies equations, but the speaker is unsure due to the possibility of adding something to A to make it non-hermitian. The definition of a function of an operator is discussed and a question is raised about Definition 27. In particular, the speaker is curious about the specifics (Ai) and whether the power series expansion goes under the continuous spectrum. The speaker also thanks the other person for providing a helpful link.
shehry1
For a hermitian operator A, does the function f(A) have the same eigenkets as A?

This has been bothering me as I try to solve Sakurai question (1.27, part a). Some of my class fellows decided that it was so and it greatly simplifies the equations and it helps in the next part too but I don't think so because I might add anything to A in order to make it non-hermitian.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is a function of an operator A defined? Have a look at page 51 of http://www.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk/~plenio/lecture.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Edgardo said:
How is a function of an operator A defined? Have a look at page 51 of http://www.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk/~plenio/lecture.pdf .

The operator is completely general but I think that definition 26 would apply. But I have a few question concerning Definition 27:

1. What specifically are the Ai?
2. Doesn't the power series expansion go under the continuous spectrum? I ask this because in the discrete spectrum at least, wouldn't the eigenkets of a hermitian operator be complete?

Thanks for the link btw, I printed the first two chapters :)

Last edited by a moderator:
shehry1 said:
The operator is completely general but I think that definition 26 would apply. But I have a few question concerning Definition 27:

1. What specifically are the Ai?
powers of A.

E.g., 1, A, A^2, A^3, etc

2. Doesn't the power series expansion go under the continuous spectrum?

under? Don't know exactly what you mean by that...

Often the symbol
[tex]
\sum_n
[/tex]
which "looks like" a discrete sum really means
[tex]
\sum_n+\int dn
[/tex]
a sum over the discrete part of the spectrum and a integral over the continuous part.

What is an eigenket of a function of a hermitian operator?

An eigenket of a function of a hermitian operator is a vector in the vector space that corresponds to the eigenvector of the hermitian operator. It represents a state in which the hermitian operator yields a specific value when acting on it.

How do eigenkets relate to eigenvalues?

Eigenkets and eigenvalues are closely related. Eigenvalues are the numerical values that correspond to the eigenvectors (or eigenkets) of a hermitian operator. The eigenkets represent the states in which the hermitian operator yields the eigenvalues.

What is the significance of hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are fundamental in quantum mechanics as they represent observables, or measurable quantities, in the quantum world. Their eigenvalues and eigenkets correspond to the possible outcomes and states of a system, respectively.

Can there be multiple eigenkets for a single eigenvalue?

Yes, there can be multiple eigenkets for a single eigenvalue. This is known as degeneracy and it occurs when two or more eigenvectors have the same eigenvalue. In this case, any linear combination of the degenerate eigenkets will also be an eigenket with the same eigenvalue.

How are eigenkets and eigenvectors related?

Eigenkets and eigenvectors are essentially the same concept, just expressed in different mathematical frameworks. Eigenkets are used in the bra-ket notation of quantum mechanics, while eigenvectors are used in the matrix representation. Both represent the same idea of a vector that is unchanged when acted upon by a linear operator.