Eigenvalue formulation to find the principal stresses, directions

• Thread starter aznkid310
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalue
You need to follow the same procedure as described above for your other two eigenvalues. Once you have all three eigenvectors, you can show the three resulting principal stresses on a properly oriented element. You can also use the three-dimensional Mohr's circle to obtain the maximum shear stress and show this on a properly oriented element. Finally, you can repeat the problem using MATLAB. In summary, to find the principal stresses and principal directions using the eigenvalue formulation, you must first solve for the eigenvalues by setting up and solving the characteristic equation. Then, you can use the eigenvalues to find the corresponding eigenvectors, which represent the principal directions. These can then be used to show the principal stresses on a properly oriented element and to calculate
aznkid310

Homework Statement

3.) Stress analysis at a critical point in a machine member gives the three-dimensional state of stress in MPa as the following:

y =

[ 105 0 0
0 -140 210
0 210 350 ]
Using the eigenvalue formulation to find the principal stresses (eigenvalues) and principal directions (eigenvectors). Show these stresses on a properly oriented element. Use the three-dimensional Mohr’s circle to obtain the maximum shear stress and show this on a properly oriented element. Repeat this problem using MATLAB.

Homework Equations

I can do all except finding the directions. I'm not sure how to find that. Do i just plug back my eigenvalues into mhy homogeneous eqn?

The Attempt at a Solution

skipping some steps:

det( 105 - s 0 0
0 -140 - s 210 = [0]
0 210 350 - s )

Solving for S (using characteristic eqn): S = 105, 427.68, -217.68
These are my eigenvalues.

In a previous step, my homogeneous eqn was:

[ 105 - s 0 0
0 -140 - s 210 * [l;m;n] = [0]
0 210 350 - s ]

If i plug my S values back in, i don't know how to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you mentioned, the equation for, e.g., your third eigenvalue, S3 = -217.684056, is (A - S3*I)*X = 0, where I = identity matrix, A is your given matrix under item 1, and X = eigenvector column vector (x1,x2,x3). Therefore, solve for x1, x2, and x3 in the following. The equation (A - S3*I)*X = 0, for your third eigenvalue, is as follows.

[322.684056 0.0 0.0]
[0.0 77.684056 210.0]*(x1,x2,x3) = (0,0,0)
[0.0 210.0 567.684056]

First, you need to get the above system of equations in row-reduced form. If you are not familiar with row-reduced form, look it up in your linear algebra textbook. In row-reduced form, the above system of equations becomes as follows.

[1.0 0.0 0.0]
[0.0 1.0 2.7032574]*(x1,x2,x3) = (0,0,0)
[0.0 0.0 0.00000]

Therefore, e.g., let x2 = t. Thus, the second equation (row) shown above, 0*x1 + x2 + 2.7032574*x3 = 0, becomes 0 + t + 2.7032574*x3 = 0; and solving for x3 gives x3 = -0.369924*t. The first equation (row) shown above, x1 + 0*x2 + 0*x3 = 0, becomes x1 + 0*t + 0*t = 0; and solving for x1 gives x1 = 0*t. Normalizing the current results, we have (0.0,1.0,-0.369924)*t/sqrt(0.0^2 + 1.0^2 + 0.369924^2), for t not equal to zero. Therefore, the eigenvector corresponding to your third eigenvalue (S3 = -217.684056) is X = (0.0,0.937885,-0.346946).

ah that rings a bell. So i also have to do thv same thing for my other two eigenvalues too?

Yes.

Related to Eigenvalue formulation to find the principal stresses, directions

What is an eigenvalue formulation?

An eigenvalue formulation is a mathematical method used for finding the principal stresses and directions within a stress tensor. It involves solving an equation involving the stress tensor and its corresponding eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

What are principal stresses?

Principal stresses are the maximum and minimum values of stress that occur in a material or structure. They represent the maximum and minimum loads that the material can withstand before failure occurs.

How do eigenvalues relate to principal stresses?

The eigenvalues in an eigenvalue formulation represent the principal stresses, while the corresponding eigenvectors represent the directions in which these stresses act.

Why is an eigenvalue formulation used to find principal stresses?

An eigenvalue formulation is used because it provides a simple and efficient way to find the principal stresses and their directions in a stress tensor. It also allows for easy comparison of different stress tensors and identification of critical areas in a material or structure.

What are some applications of eigenvalue formulation in science?

Eigenvalue formulation is commonly used in fields such as mechanics, materials science, and structural engineering to analyze stress and strain in various structures and materials. It is also used in geology to study the stresses and deformations within the Earth's crust.