Eigenvalues containing the variable x

In summary, the given wave function ψ(x)=Ae-b2x2/2, with A and b as real constants, is an eigenfunction of the Schrodinger equation for a 1D harmonic oscillator. However, it is not an eigenstate for the free Hamiltonian, as stated in the problem. When substituted into the time independent Schrodinger equation for a free particle, the resulting energy expression contains an x variable, which is not expected for an eigenvalue. The correct approach is to use the 1D harmonic oscillator, which results in an energy expression that is independent of x.
kini.Amith

Homework Statement

The wave function ψ(x)=Ae-b2x2/2 where A and b are real constants, is a normalized eigenfunction of the schrodinger eqn for a free particle of mass m and energy E. Then find the value of E

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the wave function in the time independent schrodinger equation in 1D for free particle (V(x)=0), I got
[tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2 b^2 (1-b^2 x^2)}{2m}[/tex]
But i thought eigenvalues should not contain the variable x and i don't know how to get rid of it. Apparently, the correct answer is
[tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2 b^2 }{2m}[/tex]
which is obtained by taking x=0 in my answer. But how can i simply substitute x=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
kini.Amith said:

Homework Statement

The wave function ψ(x)=Ae-b2x2/2 where A and b are real constants, is a normalized eigenfunction of the schrodinger eqn for a free particle of mass m and energy E. Then find the value of E

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the wave function in the time independent schrodinger equation in 1D for free particle (V(x)=0), I got
[tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2 b^2 (1-b^2 x^2)}{2m}[/tex]
But i thought eigenvalues should not contain the variable x and i don't know how to get rid of it. Apparently, the correct answer is
[tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2 b^2 }{2m}[/tex]
which is obtained by taking x=0 in my answer. But how can i simply substitute x=0?

That wave function is not an eigenstate for the free Hamiltonian, it is an eigenstate for the 1D harmonic oscillator. If they said that it describes a free particle, they made a mistake. Use the 1D harmonic oscillator and you will see that you get an x independent energy, as it should be (you are correct about that point)

Likes 1 person

Related to Eigenvalues containing the variable x

1. What are eigenvalues containing the variable x?

Eigenvalues are a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to describe the behavior of a linear transformation. They are numerical values that represent how a vector changes when it is multiplied by a transformation matrix. Eigenvalues can contain variables, such as x, which allow for a more general representation of the transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues containing the variable x calculated?

The calculation of eigenvalues containing the variable x follows the same process as calculating eigenvalues with numerical values. First, the characteristic equation is formed by setting the determinant of the transformation matrix minus the identity matrix equal to zero. Then, the equation is solved for the variable x to find the values that make the determinant zero, which are the eigenvalues.

3. Why are eigenvalues containing the variable x important?

Eigenvalues containing the variable x are important because they allow for a more general representation of a linear transformation. This is particularly useful in applications where the transformation matrix may vary or change depending on other factors. Eigenvalues also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can eigenvalues containing the variable x be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues containing the variable x can be complex numbers. In fact, in many cases, the solutions to the characteristic equation will result in complex values for x. This is not a problem and is actually a useful feature, as complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors can provide insights into the behavior of a transformation.

5. How are eigenvalues containing the variable x used in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues containing the variable x have many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in the analysis of mechanical systems, quantum mechanics, and image processing, among others. They can also be used to solve differential equations and optimize algorithms.