1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues containing the variable x

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function ψ(x)=Ae-b2x2/2 where A and b are real constants, is a normalized eigenfunction of the schrodinger eqn for a free particle of mass m and energy E. Then find the value of E

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Substituting the wave function in the time independent schrodinger equation in 1D for free particle (V(x)=0), I got
    [tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2 b^2 (1-b^2 x^2)}{2m}[/tex]
    But i thought eigenvalues should not contain the variable x and i don't know how to get rid of it. Apparently, the correct answer is
    [tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2 b^2 }{2m}[/tex]
    which is obtained by taking x=0 in my answer. But how can i simply substitute x=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That wave function is not an eigenstate for the free Hamiltonian, it is an eigenstate for the 1D harmonic oscillator. If they said that it describes a free particle, they made a mistake. Use the 1D harmonic oscillator and you will see that you get an x independent energy, as it should be (you are correct about that point)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted