Eigenvectors of 2*2 rotation matrix

In summary: So in this case we have $\langle v_1,v_2\rangle = 1\cdot1 + i\cdot(-i) = 1+1 = 2 \neq 0$ since these vectors are not orthogonal. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given matrix. The eigenvalues are found to be complex numbers and the corresponding eigenvectors are calculated using the formula A\lambda = \lambda V. However, when trying to show that the eigenvectors are orthogonal, there is a mistake in the calculation of the inner product. The correct definition of the inner product for complex vectors is used and it is shown that the eigenvectors are not orthogonal
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

I calculate the eigenvalues of [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\cos \theta& \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{bmatrix}[/tex] to be [tex]\lambda_1=e^{i \theta}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_2=e^{-i \theta}[/tex]

for [tex]\lambda_1=e^{i \theta}=\cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/tex] I calculate the eigenvector via [tex]A \lambda = \lambda V[/tex] as

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\cos -(\cos \theta+ i \sin \theta) & \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos -(\cos \theta+ i \sin \theta)\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}v_1\\ v_2\end{bmatrix}=\vec{0}[/tex]

which reduces to

[tex]- i \sin \theta v_1+ \sin \theta v_2=0[/tex]
[tex]-\sin \theta v_1-i \sin \theta v_2=0[/tex]

I am stumped at this point...how shall I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:
Hi Folks,

I calculate the eigenvalues of [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\cos \theta& \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{bmatrix}[/tex] to be [tex]\lambda_1=e^{i \theta}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_2=e^{-i \theta}[/tex]

for [tex]\lambda_1=e^{i \theta}=\cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/tex] I calculate the eigenvector via [tex]A \lambda = \lambda V[/tex] as

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\cos -(\cos \theta+ i \sin \theta) & \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos -(\cos \theta+ i \sin \theta)\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}v_1\\ v_2\end{bmatrix}=\vec{0}[/tex]

which reduces to

[tex]- i \sin \theta v_1+ \sin \theta v_2=0[/tex]
[tex]-\sin \theta v_1-i \sin \theta v_2=0[/tex]

I am stumped at this point...how shall I proceed?
Divide those equations by $\sin\theta$ (assuming that $\sin\theta\ne0$).

Opalg said:
Divide those equations by $\sin\theta$ (assuming that $\sin\theta\ne0$).

Then we get

[tex]- i v_1+ v_2=0[/tex] (1)
[tex]- v_1-i v_2=0[/tex] (2)

[tex]v_2=i v_1[/tex] from 1

[tex]v_2=-v_1/i[/tex] from 2

1) These contradict? How is the eigenvector obtained from this?

2) what if we have a situation where [tex]\theta=0[/tex]? Then [tex]\sin \theta=0[/tex]

bugatti79 said:
Then we get

[tex]- i v_1+ v_2=0[/tex] (1)
[tex]- v_1-i v_2=0[/tex] (2)

[tex]v_2=i v_1[/tex] from 1

[tex]v_2=-v_1/i[/tex] from 2

1) These contradict? How is the eigenvector obtained from this?

2) what if we have a situation where [tex]\theta=0[/tex]? Then [tex]\sin \theta=0[/tex]
1) They don't contradict, because $i^2=-1$ and so $-1/i = i$.

2) If $\theta=0$ then the matrix becomes $\begin{bmatrix}1&0 \\0&1 \end{bmatrix}$ (the identity matrix), with a repeated eigenvalue $1$.

Opalg said:
1) They don't contradict, because $i^2=-1$ and so $-1/i = i$.

2) If $\theta=0$ then the matrix becomes $\begin{bmatrix}1&0 \\0&1 \end{bmatrix}$ (the identity matrix), with a repeated eigenvalue $1$.

1) Ok, so the eigenvector for

[tex]\lambda_1=e^{i \theta}[/tex] is [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\ i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lambda_2=e^{-i \theta}[/tex] is [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1/i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

To show these 2 vectors are orthogonal I get the inner product

[tex]<v_1,v_2>=(1*1)+(i*1/i)\ne 0[/tex] but I expect 0...?

bugatti79 said:
1) Ok, so the eigenvector for

[tex]\lambda_1=e^{i \theta}[/tex] is [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\ i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lambda_2=e^{-i \theta}[/tex] is [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1/i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

To show these 2 vectors are orthogonal I get the inner product

[tex]<v_1,v_2>=(1*1)+(i*1/i)\ne 0[/tex] but I expect 0...?
The definition of the inner product of two complex vectors is that you have to take the complex conjugate of the second one: if $x = ( x_1,x_2)$ and $y = (y_1,y_2)$ then $\langle x,y\rangle = x_1\overline{y_1} + x_2\overline{y_2}.$

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a square matrix that represents a rotation transformation in a multidimensional space. In a 2-dimensional space, a rotation matrix is a 2x2 matrix that describes a rotation around the origin point.

2. What are eigenvectors of a 2x2 rotation matrix?

Eigenvectors of a 2x2 rotation matrix are vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by the rotation matrix. In other words, these vectors are only scaled by a scalar value when multiplied by the rotation matrix.

3. How many eigenvectors does a 2x2 rotation matrix have?

A 2x2 rotation matrix always has two eigenvectors, as it is a 2-dimensional matrix. However, these eigenvectors may be complex numbers if the rotation angle is not a multiple of pi/2.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues in a 2x2 rotation matrix?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are closely related in a 2x2 rotation matrix. Eigenvectors are the direction of the rotation, while eigenvalues represent the magnitude of the rotation. The eigenvalues of a 2x2 rotation matrix are always complex numbers with a magnitude of 1.

5. How do I calculate the eigenvectors of a 2x2 rotation matrix?

To calculate the eigenvectors of a 2x2 rotation matrix, you can use the formula v = (a - lambda) / b, where a and b are the elements of the rotation matrix and lambda is the eigenvalue. This will give you two eigenvectors, one for each eigenvalue.