1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein summation convention proof

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the Einstein summation convention, prove:

A[tex]\bullet[/tex]B[tex]\times[/tex]C = C[tex]\bullet[/tex]A[tex]\times[/tex]B

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to follow an example from my notes, but I don't entirely understand it. Would it be possible to find out if what I've done (below) is correct, or where I went wrong?

(B[tex]\times[/tex]C)[tex]_{i}[/tex] = [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{ijk}[/tex]B[tex]_{j}[/tex]C[tex]_{k}[/tex]

(A[tex]\bullet[/tex]B[tex]\times[/tex]C)[tex]_{i}[/tex] = [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{ijk}[/tex]A[tex]_{i}[/tex]B[tex]_{j}[/tex]C[tex]_{k}[/tex]

= [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{kij}[/tex]A[tex]_{i}[/tex]B[tex]_{j}[/tex]C[tex]_{k}[/tex]

=C[tex]\bullet[/tex]A[tex]\times[/tex]B

Thanks!
    PS. I'm not very familiar with Latex and couldn't get the symbols to line up properly.. sorry! They should all be subscripts.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think thats about right. The thing is just to show that e_{ijk}=e_{jki}, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook