Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EKG feedback defibrillator - public domain

1. Mar 30, 2003 #1
    EKG feedback "defibrillator" - public domain

Imagine placed around the chest, with an array of EKG sensors, a band of fabric positioned for determining a three-dimensional cardiac potential. Now consider this elastic array not only to diagnose immediate specific pathologies, but also to treat them with critically situated high voltage electrodes for applying a restoring potential. (The electrodes would be isolated enough from the current surge to avoid damaging their sensitive electronics.)

The type of resuscitation dispensed, if any, would be monitored by microprocessor. I believe the survival rate for those needing cardiac assist would increase at least 10% with my invention! Defibrillators are being installed in many public places, and this device would prevent much misapplication in situations involving possible heart failure. You heard it from me first!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

My uncle had a defibrilator surgically implanted. Saved his life more than twice. It also nearly killed him a couple of times (going off while he's on the stairs, in the shower, etc.) but only in cases where he would have died for certain without it.

Sounds like your device could do the same thing without the complications of surgery.
  4. Mar 31, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

A device similar to that which you describe was available going back at least to 1965. It was not used to trigger a defibrillation pulse, but an external cardiac pacemaker pulse. I may be wrong but conceptually I see little difference.

It’s really not difficult to train someone to diagnose fibrillation, as it is distinct from the normal cardiac rhythm as seen on an EKG (ECG). It requires only 2 electrodes to do so; the external defibrillator paddles serve the purpose. An array of electrodes is necessary for a well-trained physician to locate a specific diseased area of the heart and make a definite diagnosis. Electrically the heart can be considered a radiating dipole. An electrode array can provide positional information, as damaged tissue will cause a deviation from the norm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?