Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Elastic and un-elastic collisions

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    well first time i have had to use this forum in a long time, but i am very stuck (i guess being hungover and falling asleep in the lecture didnt help)

but i have 2 problems that i have been playing with for over an hour now and just cannot get any kind of reasonable answer

1) a proton of mass m travelling at 300m/s collides with a stationary carbon nucleus of mass 12m

(a) find the velocity of the centre of mass of the system, for this i got 23.07m/s not sure if this is right or wrong, i simply used conservation of momentum for an imaginary particle of mass 13m
    (b) find the velocity of the proton after the collision in the centre-of-mass refrence frame (very lost on this)
    (c) find the velocity of the proton after the collision in the lab reference frame, for this i have used conservation of momentum, but with 2 un-knowns and only 1 equation i was thinkin of possibly using the conservation of kinetic energy (with it being an elastic collision) but it didnt work out when i tried

2) A bullet of mass m1 is fired with a speed v into the bob of a ballistic pendulum of mass m2 find the maximum heigh h attained by the bob if the bullet passes through the bob and emerges with a speed v/2

to be honest this is the lecture i was hungover in and do not have a clue on this one

if someone could point me in the right direction on these it would be grately appreciated

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted