Elastic Collision with 280kg Ball: Mass & KE Transfer Calculation

in summary, the second ball has a mass of .5 times the mass of the first ball and the initial velocity of the first ball is .5 times the velocity of the second ball.
rie_06
280kg ball has elastic collision with 2nd ball which is initially at rest. Then 2nd ball moves with .5 velocity of 1st ball - what is mass of the 2nd ball? what percentage of KE gets transferred to 2nd ball

Homework Equations

I believe i use m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 +m2v2 (before & after), conservation of momemtum

then i think i would use 1/2mv2 + 1/2mv2 = 1/2mv2 + 1/2mv2 (energy before = energy after) conservation of energy
Maybe my algebra is just rusty, but I'm very confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

but i am having trouble just solving this the first equation. so if the m's cancel out i have v1 = v1 + v2 (the initial velocity of m2 = 0)
and then v2 = .5v1 so i have v1 = v1 + .5v1 is any of this correct? I'm confused

Physics news on Phys.org
If the m's cancel, the why would they ask you to find the mass of the second ball? And what's the initial velocity of the first ball?

Provide the question as it is in the book.

First of all, you equation 'm1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 +m2v2' implies 0 = 0, so it would be better to use v1' and v2' for the velocities after the collision. :wink:

i agree - that's where my confusion is!
The question in the book does not state a velocity for the first ball.

thanks for suggesting using v1' and v2' I did use them in my equation but forgot to mention them in the post
so m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2' i then get v1 = v1' + .5v1 then .5 = v1'
does that make sense? should i continue with the next equation from here - or do i need to find the mass of the 2nd ball before continuing - i am still confused.

rie_06 said:
thanks for suggesting using v1' and v2' I did use them in my equation but forgot to mention them in the post
so m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2' i then get v1 = v1' + .5v1 then .5 = v1'
does that make sense?

The masses are not equal, at least we have no right to assume they are, so they can not cancel out.

ok - let me try it without cancelling the mass
m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'
.280(v1) = .280(v1') + m2(.5v1)
is that how i should proceed?

rie_06 said:
ok - let me try it without cancelling the mass
m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'
.280(v1) = .280(v1') + m2(.5v1)
is that how i should proceed?

Looks correct now, except it should be 0.5v1', unless I'm missing something.

you are correct - let me work it some more and see what i come up with - thank you very much!

i meant you are correct on the 0.5v1'
Thank you

in solving .280(v1) = .280(v1)' + m2(0.5v1)
to get m2 by itself - i divide both sides by 0.5v1
.14 = .14 + m2
m2 = 0
doesn't seem right? what am i doing wrong?

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

What is the formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is:
v1f = (m1 - m2) * v1i / (m1 + m2) + (2 * m2 * v2i) / (m1 + m2)
v2f = (m2 - m1) * v2i / (m1 + m2) + (2 * m1 * v1i) / (m1 + m2)
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved in the collision, and v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the two objects.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a rubber ball bouncing off a hard surface, and two air molecules colliding in the atmosphere.

How do elastic collisions affect the motion of objects?

Elastic collisions can affect the motion of objects by changing their velocity and direction of motion. In an elastic collision, the objects involved exchange energy and momentum, resulting in changes in their motion.