Solving for Velocity and Mass in an Elastic Collision

In summary, a softball with a mass of 0.220 kg and a speed of 6.7 m/s collides elastically with a stationary ball. After the collision, the incoming ball bounces backward with a speed of 4.2 m/s. To calculate the velocity of the target ball after the collision, we can use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the initial momentum of the system is equal to the final momentum. We also know that the initial momentum of the target ball is 0, and the final momentum of the incoming ball can be calculated using its mass and velocity after the collision. To determine the mass of the target ball, we can use the conservation of energy equation, which states that the initial
lmf22
A softball of mass 0.220 kg that is moving with a speed of 6.7 m/s collides head-on and elastically with another ball initially at rest. Afterward it is found that the incoming ball has bounced backward with a speed of 4.2 m/s. (Assume the positive direction is forward.)

(a) Calculate the velocity of the target ball after the collision.

(b) Calculate the mass of the target ball.

I know I have to use conservation of momentum along with conservation of energy, but I don't know how to set them up or combine the 2 equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, momentum and kinetic energy will be conserved. Can you write an equation to show that?

momentum equation:
initial momentum = final momentum
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1(final) + m2v2(final)

I know that m2v2 (initial) = 0 because the target ball is at rest.

Kinetic energy equation:
initial energy = final energy
.5m1v1^2 + .5m2v2^2 = .5m1v1^2(final) + .5m2v2^2(final)

.5m2v2^2 (initial) = 0 because target ball is at rest.

How would I solve these 2 equations?

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

How do you calculate the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The final velocities in an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. This involves setting the initial momentum and kinetic energy equal to the final momentum and kinetic energy and solving for the final velocities.

Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses as long as the collision is head-on and the objects do not stick together after the collision. This is because the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations take into account the masses of the objects.

Are there any real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of elastic collisions. Some examples include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding without damage, and a cue ball colliding with a stationary ball in a game of billiards.