Elasticity (Yield Strength) of Carbon Nanotubes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
darkdave3000
Messages
242
Reaction score
5
I'm trying to find the Yield strength, that is how much force can be applied to carbon nanotubes so that they stretch to the limit before plastic deformation. And also how much they stretch at this limit.

Do they stretch at all? Or are they always the same length until the Ultimate Tensile Strength is reached and then they deform plasticly?

I'm doing this for my space elevator simulator. I'm trying to simulate the material in real time.

David
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What I need is yield strength, I already have Ultimate Tensile Strength which is the beginning of plastic deformation. I don't need to know any more about plastic deformation, what I need to know is the beginning of elastic behaviour. That is how much force can I apply to stretch it and how much it will stretch(distance).

anorlunda said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_properties_of_carbon_nanotubes

I would start there with the wiki article and the references at the bottom.

A quick scan of that wiki article shows that it does mention plastic deformation.