Electric arc: How to calculate the required voltage for a light bow?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Hans42
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

Calculate the required voltage to produce a electric arc between 2 iron nails (distance: 3cm).

I´ve read in the internet that you need 1 kV per mm. But how can I calculate this value, that I need 1kV per 1mm?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hans42 said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

Calculate the required voltage to produce a electric arc between 2 iron nails (distance: 3cm).

I´ve read in the internet that you need 1 kV per mm. But how can I calculate this value, that I need 1kV per 1mm?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

See if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

What is your background in working with high voltages?