1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Charge and Electric Fields

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    Each quare centimeter of the surface of an infinite p;ane sheet of paper has 2.5 X 10^6 excess electrons. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point 5 cm from the surface of the sheet, if the sheet is large enough to be treated as an infinite plane.

This is an odd problem and the answer is:
    226 N/C towards the sheet

I understant why it is towards the sheet. I am guessing that since it is an infinite plane the 5 cm distance is unimportant.

does this have something to do with the equation: E = 2*sigma / 2*Eo

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the basic idea (except that the equation is 2 sigma /(2 epsilon_0).

That's all there is to it.
    (you know how to calculate sigma, I assume. Just take the number of excess electrons times the charge of one electron divided by the 1 cm^2. Don't forget that 1cm^2 = 10^(-4) m^2).

EDIT: I retyped the wrong equation by mistake. Sorry. It is of course sigma/(2 epsilon_0)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot, i understand it better now!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?