Electric Charge and Electric Fields

In summary, the electric field at a point 5 cm from the surface of an infinite plane sheet of paper with 2.5 x 10^6 excess electrons per square centimeter is 226 N/C towards the sheet. This can be calculated using the equation E = 2*sigma / 2*Eo, where sigma represents the number of excess electrons per unit area and Eo is the permittivity of free space. The 5 cm distance is not relevant due to the infinite nature of the plane.
aquabug918
Each quare centimeter of the surface of an infinite p;ane sheet of paper has 2.5 X 10^6 excess electrons. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point 5 cm from the surface of the sheet, if the sheet is large enough to be treated as an infinite plane.

This is an odd problem and the answer is:
226 N/C towards the sheet

I understant why it is towards the sheet. I am guessing that since it is an infinite plane the 5 cm distance is unimportant.

does this have something to do with the equation: E = 2*sigma / 2*Eo

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
aquabug918 said:
Each quare centimeter of the surface of an infinite p;ane sheet of paper has 2.5 X 10^6 excess electrons. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point 5 cm from the surface of the sheet, if the sheet is large enough to be treated as an infinite plane.

This is an odd problem and the answer is:
226 N/C towards the sheet

I understant why it is towards the sheet. I am guessing that since it is an infinite plane the 5 cm distance is unimportant.

does this have something to do with the equation: E =sigma / 2*Eo

Thanks!

Yes, that's the basic idea (except that the equation is 2 sigma /(2 epsilon_0).

That's all there is to it.
(you know how to calculate sigma, I assume. Just take the number of excess electrons times the charge of one electron divided by the 1 cm^2. Don't forget that 1cm^2 = 10^(-4) m^2).

EDIT: I retyped the wrong equation by mistake. Sorry. It is of course sigma/(2 epsilon_0)

Patrick

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, i understand it better now!

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes particles to attract or repel one another. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in coulombs (C).

2. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely through them, while insulators do not. This allows conductors to carry electric currents, while insulators prevent them from flowing.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electric charges experience a force. It is created by electric charges and can exert a force on other charges within the field.

4. How are electric fields and electric charges related?

Electric fields are created by electric charges and can be visualized as lines of force extending from positive charges and terminating on negative charges. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges creating it.

5. How is electric charge conserved?

Electric charge is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one object to another. This is known as the law of conservation of charge, and it is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism.