Help Needed: Calculating Excess Electron Charge of a Water Droplet

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a textbook involving a stationary water droplet in midair and the electric field of the Earth. The relevant equations are mentioned, including the force equation and the electric field equation, as well as the values for constants such as the electron charge and mass. The individual asks for help determining the number of excess electron charges the droplet must have in order to remain stationary. The concept of gravity is also brought up and considered in the calculation.
huomenta12
Hello everybody,

Here is a question that I had problems with in my textbook. I can't figure it out.Can you help me out?

A water droplet of radius 0.0018mm remains stationary in the air.If the electric field going downwards of the Earth is 150 N/C,how many excess electron charges must the water droplet have?

Relevant equations may be :

F= kQ1Q2 / r2 for force

k= 9.0 x 109 Nm2/C2

E = F / q for electric field

Electron charge = 1.6 x 10-19C
Electron Mass = 9.11 x 10-31kg

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Why would the droplet remain stationary and not fall to the ground like a drop of rain?

I don't know. Thats what I thought first, but the question is like how I wrote it. What would be the method if it did fall like a normal water drop?

You are told that the droplet is suspended in mid air and you should believe that. How many forces do you think act on the drop when it is suspended in mid air?

Well, there is the force of gravity and the force of the electron that goes the opposite direction to the electric field. I forgot totally about the gravity! Ok I'll try to calculate now.

FAQ: Help Needed: Calculating Excess Electron Charge of a Water Droplet

1. How do I calculate the excess electron charge of a water droplet?

To calculate the excess electron charge of a water droplet, you will need to know the number of excess electrons and the droplet's radius. The formula for excess electron charge is Q = 4/3 * π * ε0 * r3 * n, where Q is the excess electron charge, π is pi, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r is the droplet's radius in meters, and n is the number of excess electrons.

2. How do I determine the number of excess electrons in a water droplet?

The number of excess electrons in a water droplet can be determined by subtracting the total number of electrons in the droplet from the number of electrons in a neutral water droplet. This number can vary depending on the source of the droplet, but it is typically around 1012 electrons per droplet.

3. What is the radius of a water droplet?

The radius of a water droplet can vary depending on the source and conditions, but it is typically between 1 and 10 micrometers. This can be measured using specialized equipment such as an optical microscope or a laser diffraction instrument.

4. How does excess electron charge affect the properties of a water droplet?

The excess electron charge of a water droplet can affect its surface tension, electrical conductivity, and evaporation rate. This is because the excess electrons can interact with the surrounding molecules and change their behavior.

5. Can the excess electron charge of a water droplet be measured experimentally?

Yes, the excess electron charge of a water droplet can be measured experimentally using techniques such as laser-induced electron detachment or Coulomb explosion imaging. These methods allow for the detection and quantification of the excess electrons in a water droplet.

Back