Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric charges moving and magnetic field

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    I know that a current creates a magnetic field and so do moving electric charges. My question is how fast a single charge moves so that it will create a magnetic field. Should its velocity be around c to make that?

Thks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A moving electron creates a magnetic field B~vXE/c.

4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    Oh, cool, I can calculate the magnetic field of a current by this formula as well. Thanks.

5. Mar 6, 2007 #4
    This is the magnetic field generated by a moving electric charge.

[tex]\vec{B} =\frac{q \vec{v} \times \vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

6. Mar 7, 2007 #5
    I think that no matter how much of the charge are given, there should have a magnetic made. But whether or not it is easy to found .
    is it ?

7. Mar 7, 2007 #6
    to answer haiha's question, typically in an electrical ckt, the electrons dont move around with speed of light..infact surprisingly it moves with a drift velocity. this is typically around 1cm/sec ! yes, electrons' drift velocity is very slow...it is the velocity of the signal that moves with speeds comparable to light( well it depends upon the dielectric co-effs etc). "signal" here roughly means the electro-magnetic field through space...

8. Mar 7, 2007 #7

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The magnetic field of a single moving charge is a tricky calculation using Special Relativity, especially if the charge is accelerating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?