Question about magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) for electricity production

DavAeroEng
TL;DR Summary
Is this design theoretically possible for electric energy production? Could be realised to be used to produce electricity?
Picture1.png
Picture2.png

According to the MHD theory, is case of energy production, a magnetic appplying a magnetic field to a moving charge perpendicular to the magnetic field, that could be plasma as well a solution full of ions, and placing two plates, electricity could be produced.
Now I have a question, let's say instead of moving the charges, the magnetic field is moved, in paricular in a circular motion with two ring

magnets
Screenshot 2023-12-26 082619.png
like in the image. Let's say they are ferrite magnets, so the intesity is kinda low respect to neudium magnets. These are made spin very fast, in the same direction. Now in theory by putting the a charge in between, and I though to fire, that is a plasma, and two plates.

Could this design produce a relevant amount of electricity? Could this work?
Screenshot 2023-12-26 082619.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your energy source?

I'm not sure if I understand the concept, but it looks like you want to reproduce a generator - extracting electricity from the motion of the magnet rings? You get a force from a time-dependent magnetic field inducing an electric field, but the field here is time-independent.

mfb said:
I'm not sure if I understand the concept, but it looks like you want to reproduce a generator - extracting electricity from the motion of the magnet rings? You get a force from a time-dependent magnetic field inducing an electric field, but the field here is time-independent.
Yes exactly, Normally in MHD generators the hot gas is shoot in between the fixed magnetic field, but what if the plasma, in this case fire from the combustion stays in that semi-ring, and the magnets over them spins, could this setup produce electricity? In other words could moving the magnetic field like this produce the necessary lorentz force to produce electricity?

There is nothing moving here (besides the field source). A moving particles in a magnetic field works: In the reference frame of the magnetic field you have the particle moving, in the reference frame of the particle the field transforms to have an electric field component. But here both reference frames are identical and you only have a non-moving charge in a magnetic field, assuming perfect symmetry in the setup.

1. How does magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) work for electricity production?

Magnetohydrodynamics involves using a magnetic field to ionize a conductive fluid, such as plasma, and then using the movement of this fluid to generate electricity through induction.

2. What are the advantages of using MHD for electricity production?

Some advantages of MHD include high efficiency, low emissions, and the ability to generate electricity from heat sources that are not suitable for traditional methods like steam turbines.

3. What are the limitations of using MHD for electricity production?

Limitations of MHD include the need for high temperatures, technical challenges in controlling and stabilizing the plasma, and the high cost of development and implementation.

4. Are there any practical applications of MHD for electricity production?

While MHD has been researched for decades, there are currently no large-scale commercial applications of MHD for electricity production. However, it is still being studied for potential future use.

5. How does MHD compare to other methods of electricity production?

MHD is unique in its ability to directly convert heat into electricity without the need for moving parts like turbines. However, it is currently less efficient and more expensive than traditional methods like steam turbines or gas turbines.