1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric circuit problem, finding current through a resistor

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    1. The diagram attached shows part of an electric circuit. What is the current through resistor R1?

To summarize:
    I=6.0 A
    R1 = 11.0 Ω
    R2 = 33.0 Ω
    R3 = 67.0 Ω

R2 and R3 are in parallel, and R1 and R2 and 3 are in parallel.

I know we aren't supposed to attach pictures of questions, but a diagram does make my question a lot easier to understand.

2. Relevant equations

V=IR
    IT in series = I1=I2=I3
    IT in parallel = I1+I2+I3
    RT in series = R1+R2+R3
    RT in parallel = [(1/R1)+(1/R2)+(1/R3)]-1

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the resistor laws, I can find resistance of R2 and 3 by (1/33+1/67)-1.

Using Kirchoff's Laws, I know that the resistance coming out has to equal the 6.0 A.

But I don't get how all this information is relevant. The question doesn't give me voltage or any other information and I don't know how to figure out how much current goes through each resistor.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2
    Notice that ALL of the resistors are in parallel. Find the voltage across all of them, then find the current through each one.

4. May 19, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What's the net resistance of the circuit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted