Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric circuit with resistors in series

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A battery , ammeter with resistance , 1 ohm and a resistor are connected in series .A voltmeter of 500 ohm is connected parallel to the resistor . The actual resistance of R is 100 ohm , what is the ratio of (the resistance R determined)/(the actual resistance of R) ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the emf of the battery be E and resistance of resistor , R

pd across R = [R/(1+R)]E

I(500)= [R/(1+R)]E

and that leads me to nowhere .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: electriccircuit

When the voltmeter is connected across the unknown resistance, what is the equivalent resistance R' of the parallel combination?
    Then find PD across R' and the ratio of R'/R.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3

ok , the effective resistance , R'=500R/(500+R) and the potential difference across the unknown resistor is

[500R/(501R+500)]E

but thats not the resistance .

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

The effective resistance R' is 500R/(550+R) but the potential difference is ER'/(R'+1). (Don't forget the ammeter resistance.)

So now you know the potential difference across R' and the current through it. Can you calculate the determined resistance?

6. Mar 27, 2010 #5

For the effective resistance , i got 500R/(500+R) , i don see where is the another 50 coming ..

and the pd across the uknown resistor ,

using the concept of potential divider , [500R/(500+R)]/[(500R/(500+R))+1]

=500R/(501R+500)

maybe i am wrong here , could yuo point me to my mistake ? and also i do not know the current flowing through the unkown resistor .

7. Mar 27, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If you do the experiment to determine the resistance , you use an ammeter of very small resistance and a voltmeter of very high resistance. Ammeter measures the current and voltmeter measures the voltage across the resistance. Then R = V/I. This is the actual resistance. If the voltmeter is of lower resistance, then the measured resistance is smaller than the actual resistance.
    But I can't understand what you mean by
    what is the ratio of (the resistance R determined)/(the actual resistance of R) ?

Probably the given data is not sufficient to determine the above ratio.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook