1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric circuit with resistors in series

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A battery , ammeter with resistance , 1 ohm and a resistor are connected in series .A voltmeter of 500 ohm is connected parallel to the resistor . The actual resistance of R is 100 ohm , what is the ratio of (the resistance R determined)/(the actual resistance of R) ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the emf of the battery be E and resistance of resistor , R

pd across R = [R/(1+R)]E

I(500)= [R/(1+R)]E

and that leads me to nowhere .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: electriccircuit

When the voltmeter is connected across the unknown resistance, what is the equivalent resistance R' of the parallel combination?
    Then find PD across R' and the ratio of R'/R.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3

ok , the effective resistance , R'=500R/(500+R) and the potential difference across the unknown resistor is

[500R/(501R+500)]E

but thats not the resistance .

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

The effective resistance R' is 500R/(550+R) but the potential difference is ER'/(R'+1). (Don't forget the ammeter resistance.)

So now you know the potential difference across R' and the current through it. Can you calculate the determined resistance?

6. Mar 27, 2010 #5

For the effective resistance , i got 500R/(500+R) , i don see where is the another 50 coming ..

and the pd across the uknown resistor ,

using the concept of potential divider , [500R/(500+R)]/[(500R/(500+R))+1]

=500R/(501R+500)

maybe i am wrong here , could yuo point me to my mistake ? and also i do not know the current flowing through the unkown resistor .

7. Mar 27, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If you do the experiment to determine the resistance , you use an ammeter of very small resistance and a voltmeter of very high resistance. Ammeter measures the current and voltmeter measures the voltage across the resistance. Then R = V/I. This is the actual resistance. If the voltmeter is of lower resistance, then the measured resistance is smaller than the actual resistance.
    But I can't understand what you mean by
    what is the ratio of (the resistance R determined)/(the actual resistance of R) ?

Probably the given data is not sufficient to determine the above ratio.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook