Electric Current and Potential Difference

In summary, when an external electrical potential difference is applied across a conductor, electrons flow in the opposite direction of the current. This means that the number of free electrons in the conductor does not decrease. This is because at the positive end of the conductor, just as many electrons leave as there are coming in at the other end. The resistance of the conductor remains constant.
Rozwind
when the external electrical potential difference is applied across the conductor ,electrons flow in the direction opposite to the current.Whether the number of free electrons in the conductor decrease?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Roz, :welcome:

A good question. Is it yours or has it been asked to you ? (if the latter, post in homework !)
For the answer, consider what the consequence would be for the charge (and thereby the voltage) on the conductor.

BvU said:
Hello Roz, :welcome:

A good question. Is it yours or has it been asked to you ? (if the latter, post in homework !)
For the answer, consider what the consequence would be for the charge (and thereby the voltage) on the conductor.
The question has been given in my textbook and consequences for the charge or voltage on conductor haven't been mentioned but the resistance is constant. I think the answer should be No. Am I correct?

Rozwind said:
I think the answer should be No
I agree. At the positive end of the conductor, just as many electrons leave as there are coming in at the other end.

BvU said:
I agree. At the positive end of the conductor, just as many electrons leave as there are coming in at the other end.
Ok. Thank You.

Next time: post in homework and make good use of the template there !

BvU said:
Next time: post in homework and make good use of the template there !
Actually, this isn't homework. I was reading the lesson beforehand.

My compliments ! good action. even so, PF considers these in-text questions and examples to fall under 'exercises' such as homework.

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

How is electric current created?

Electric current is created when there is a difference in electric potential, also known as voltage, between two points. This causes the flow of electrons from a higher potential to a lower potential, generating an electric current.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points. It is measured in units of volts (V) and is represented by the symbol "V".

How does resistance affect electric current?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. The higher the resistance, the lower the electric current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

What are some examples of devices that use electric current and potential difference?

There are many devices that use electric current and potential difference, such as light bulbs, refrigerators, computers, and cell phones. These devices use the flow of electric current to power their functions.