Understanding Ohm's Law: Electric Current & Potential Difference

In summary, Ohm's law states that the electric current in a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference across the two ends, given that the physical conditions remain the same. When the ends of the conductor are not connected to an external source, the potential difference across any two points in the conductor is 0. However, when connected to an external source, the potential difference and current vary throughout the conductor. In theory, charge does not require potential difference to flow in an ideal conductor, but in practice, there is a small voltage drop due to the conductor's resistance.
donaldparida
According to Ohm's law, "Physical conditions remaining the same, the electric current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference across the two ends of the conductor"
I have two conceptual queries:
FIRST
When the ends of the conductor are not connected to any external electric potential difference source, the electric potential throughout the conductor remains the same and the electric potential difference across any two arbitrarily selected points in the conductor is 0. Am i correct in saying this?
SECOND
When the ends of the conductor are connected to an external electric potential difference source, the ends of the conductor attain different electric potentials and current exists across the conductor. Every point in the conductor is at different electric potential and the electric potential decreases from one end to the other. Ohm's law can be applied for any two arbitrarily selected points in the conductor in this case and not only for the ends or terminals of the conductor. Am i correct in saying this?
Also does charge require any potential difference to flow across a conductor(ideal)?(V=IR=>V=I*0=>V=0, according to me)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
donaldparida said:
When the ends of the conductor are not connected to any external electric potential difference source, the electric potential throughout the conductor remains the same and the electric potential difference across any two arbitrarily selected points in the conductor is 0. Am i correct in saying this?
Yes.
donaldparida said:
When the ends of the conductor are connected to an external electric potential difference source, the ends of the conductor attain different electric potentials and current exists across the conductor. Every point in the conductor is at different electric potential and the electric potential decreases from one end to the other. Ohm's law can be applied for any two arbitrarily selected points in the conductor in this case and not only for the ends or terminals of the conductor. Am i correct in saying this?
Ideally no, practically yes.

Ideal conductors have zero resistance. If you connect the terminals of an ideal voltage source (zero internal resistance) with an ideal conductor, you'll have infinite current. So this is not a valid situation in circuit theory.

Practically, every conductor has a non-zero but very small resistance and hence, there is a small voltage drop across the conductor. This voltage drop, being negligibly small, is often neglected in practice and the conductors are assumed to be ideal.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electricity that describes the relationship between electric current, potential difference, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference applied across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I". Electric current is caused by the movement of electrons in a circuit, and is essential for the operation of most electrical devices.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the force that drives electric current in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol "V". Potential difference is created by a difference in electric charge between two points in a circuit, and is necessary for the flow of current.

4. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R". Resistance is determined by the material and dimensions of a conductor, and can be controlled by adding resistors to a circuit.

5. How can Ohm's Law be applied in real-life situations?

Ohm's Law is widely used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, and is essential for understanding the behavior of various electronic devices. It is also used in the maintenance and troubleshooting of electrical systems, as well as in the development of new technologies such as renewable energy sources and electric vehicles.