Electric current being alternated with continuous part

• Thread starter DaTario
  • Start date
Summary
In which scenario a current may exhibit alternated and continous character together?
Summary: In which scenario a current may exhibit alternated and continous character together?

Hi All,

I would like to know in which scenario an electric current may exhibit alternated and continous character?
Something like $$ I(t) = I_0 \sin (\omega t) + I_1 $$.

A simple example is ripple on the DC output from a poorly smoothed power supply. The output is DC with AC superimposed on it. Another is the DC supply to the LNB on a satellite TV dish, which is passed on the same coaxial cable bringing the signal (which is AC) to the receiver.

A simple example is ripple on the DC output from a poorly smoothed power supply. The output is DC with AC superimposed on it. Another is the DC supply to the LNB on a satellite TV dish, which is passed on the same coaxial cable bringing the signal (which is AC) to the receiver.
what he said (very small).jpg

berkeman

Mentor
I would like to know in which scenario an electric current may exhibit alternated and continous character?
Another example of a DC current with an AC component (although not sinusoidal) is the i(t) current through the inductor of a "Buck" topology DC-DC converter. The average of the triangular current waveform is the average output current of the DC-DC converter (at the output voltage which is being regulated by the converter), and the ripple current depends on the switching frequency and the value of the inductance...

tech99

Gold Member
Another example is an analogue TV signal, which is unidirectional and so has a DC component.

Thank you all, very much!