Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Current

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    Can anyone explain the concept of effective resistance between two points in a circuit. There are , on an average 6-7 resistors connected in every possible way in between the 2 points
    for exampe refer to H C Verma questions
    same for potential difference

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Imagine that between those two points there is a voltage drop V and thus a total current I. The effective resistance is R = V/I. (In other words, for the purpose of seeing how that pile of resistors affects the rest of the circuit it connects to, you can replace those resistors with a single resistor of size V/I.)

For simple combinations of resistors it's easy to find the effective resistance. For example, two resistors in parallel (R1 & R2) have an effective resistance of R where 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

4. May 14, 2006 #3
    Hello

I would just like to add that Dr. HC Verma's book is common only in our country and I doubt if non-Indian forum users would be familiar with it. Hence if you are asking for help from a book published in India, please reproduce the exact question rather than referring to it. This helps people help you :approve:

Cheers
    Vivek

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook