1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Current

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    Can anyone explain the concept of effective resistance between two points in a circuit. There are , on an average 6-7 resistors connected in every possible way in between the 2 points
    for exampe refer to H C Verma questions
    same for potential difference
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Imagine that between those two points there is a voltage drop V and thus a total current I. The effective resistance is R = V/I. (In other words, for the purpose of seeing how that pile of resistors affects the rest of the circuit it connects to, you can replace those resistors with a single resistor of size V/I.)

For simple combinations of resistors it's easy to find the effective resistance. For example, two resistors in parallel (R1 & R2) have an effective resistance of R where 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2.
  4. May 14, 2006 #3

I would just like to add that Dr. HC Verma's book is common only in our country and I doubt if non-Indian forum users would be familiar with it. Hence if you are asking for help from a book published in India, please reproduce the exact question rather than referring to it. This helps people help you :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?