1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole moment question

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. In an electric dipole moment, assume that both charges are positive and find the electric field "E" at point "P", assuming X>>d, where "d" is the distance between the two charges and "X" is the distance of point "P" from the center of the dipole.

I have thought a lot about it but I am very much confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    DIMSKK

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, well let's start with the definition of an electric dipole - what is it?

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    "a pair of equal and opposite electric charges or magnetic poles separated by a small distance".

I was also thinking that we cannot assume that both charges are positive, but my teacher gave me this question as an assignment. I thought that may be there is a solution for this. So confused!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook