1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and the position of a charge

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A -10.0nC charge is located at position (x, y) = (2.0cm, 1.0cm) . At what (x, y) position(s) is the electric field - 225,000i N/C?

2. Relevant equations
    E = (Kq/r^2)*r(hat)

3. The attempt at a solution

r = sqrt(Kq/E) = .02m = 2cm
    So coordinates are (0,-2)

I tried putting this answer into mastering physics online and it says it is incorrect. I can't seem to find what I have done wrong. Any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right away without calculating anything, I can tell you that since the electric field of a negative point charge points radially inward in all directions, the only way for the field to be pointing in the x-direction is if the point at which you are measuring the field is somewhere along a line that runs parallel to the x-axis and passes through the charge. Your answer cannot be right, because your point lies on the y axis.

Hint: r only tells you the distance of the point away from the charge...it does not specify in which direction.

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    Yeah, you've got the right distance but the wrong location. You've even got the right idea, using the negative sign, but like cepheid says, the field points in the i direction.

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4
    Ah, I get it now! Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook