• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Electric Field and the position of a charge

• Thread starter dalson
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

A -10.0nC charge is located at position (x, y) = (2.0cm, 1.0cm) . At what (x, y) position(s) is the electric field - 225,000i N/C?

2. Homework Equations
E = (Kq/r^2)*r(hat)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

r = sqrt(Kq/E) = .02m = 2cm
So coordinates are (0,-2)

I tried putting this answer into mastering physics online and it says it is incorrect. I can't seem to find what I have done wrong. Any help please?

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right away without calculating anything, I can tell you that since the electric field of a negative point charge points radially inward in all directions, the only way for the field to be pointing in the x-direction is if the point at which you are measuring the field is somewhere along a line that runs parallel to the x-axis and passes through the charge. Your answer cannot be right, because your point lies on the y axis.

Hint: r only tells you the distance of the point away from the charge...it does not specify in which direction.

Yeah, you've got the right distance but the wrong location. You've even got the right idea, using the negative sign, but like cepheid says, the field points in the i direction.

Ah, I get it now! Thank you very much!