Electric Field and the position of a charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
dalson
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A -10.0nC charge is located at position (x, y) = (2.0cm, 1.0cm) . At what (x, y) position(s) is the electric field - 225,000i N/C?


Homework Equations


E = (Kq/r^2)*r(hat)


The Attempt at a Solution



r = sqrt(Kq/E) = .02m = 2cm
So coordinates are (0,-2)


I tried putting this answer into mastering physics online and it says it is incorrect. I can't seem to find what I have done wrong. Any help please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Right away without calculating anything, I can tell you that since the electric field of a negative point charge points radially inward in all directions, the only way for the field to be pointing in the x-direction is if the point at which you are measuring the field is somewhere along a line that runs parallel to the x-axis and passes through the charge. Your answer cannot be right, because your point lies on the y axis.

Hint: r only tells you the distance of the point away from the charge...it does not specify in which direction.
 
Yeah, you've got the right distance but the wrong location. You've even got the right idea, using the negative sign, but like cepheid says, the field points in the i direction.