Electric field between two deflection plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a cathode-ray tube (CRT) and the momentum principle to find the electric field between two deflection plates. The dimensions of the plates are given and the change in momentum of the electron is provided. The electric force and electric field equations are mentioned and the attempt at finding the charge of one of the plates is described. The suggested solution is to try using -3e5 in Webassign.
demonhunter19

Homework Statement

In a cathode-ray tube (CRT), an electron travels in a vacuum and enters a region between two "deflection" plates which have equal and opposite charges. The dimensions of each plate are 12 cm by 4 cm, and the gap between them is 2.5 mm (not to scale in the diagram).

73976?db=v4net.jpg

During a 0.001 s interval while it is between the plates, the change of the momentum of the electron P=< 0,4.80e-17,0 > kg m/s.

What is the electric field between the plates?
Hint: remember the Momentum Principle (the relationship between Impulse and change in momentum.)What is the charge (both magnitude and sign) of the upper plate?

q =

Homework Equations

Momentum Principle: Change of P = Fnet(t)
Electric Force, F=qE (q is charge, E is electric field)
Electric field of a plate? (I have no idea. Probably something like E=(Q/A)/Epsilon_0 where A is the area of the plate)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the Fnet acting on the electron by dividing <0,4.80e-17,0> by .001 which in turn gives me <0,4.8e-14,0>N. I then plug it into F=qE, and find that E=-300000, (because q = -1.6e-19) But webassign tells me that is wrong. I also don't know how to find the charge of one of the plates.

Please help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried placing -3e5 into Webassign? I got mine right, and I used the same way as you, exactly. Webassign can be anal like that... Let me know if it works!

1. What is an electric field between two deflection plates?

An electric field between two deflection plates is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. This force is created by the difference in electric potential between the two plates.

2. How is the strength of the electric field between two deflection plates determined?

The strength of the electric field between two deflection plates is determined by the distance between the plates, the voltage applied to the plates, and the charge on the plates. The stronger the voltage or the closer the plates, the stronger the electric field will be.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two deflection plates?

The direction of the electric field between two deflection plates is from the positive plate to the negative plate. This is because positive charges are repelled by the positive plate and attracted to the negative plate, while negative charges are attracted to the positive plate and repelled by the negative plate.

4. How does the electric field between two deflection plates affect charged particles?

The electric field between two deflection plates will cause charged particles to accelerate in the direction of the field. The acceleration will depend on the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particles. The greater the charge and the stronger the field, the greater the acceleration will be.

5. What is the use of an electric field between two deflection plates?

An electric field between two deflection plates is often used in scientific experiments and technologies such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. It allows for the manipulation and control of charged particles in a specific direction, making it an important tool in the study of electricity and electromagnetism.