1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field between two deflection plates

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a cathode-ray tube (CRT), an electron travels in a vacuum and enters a region between two "deflection" plates which have equal and opposite charges. The dimensions of each plate are 12 cm by 4 cm, and the gap between them is 2.5 mm (not to scale in the diagram).

[​IMG]
    During a 0.001 s interval while it is between the plates, the change of the momentum of the electron P=< 0,4.80e-17,0 > kg m/s.

What is the electric field between the plates?
    Hint: remember the Momentum Principle (the relationship between Impulse and change in momentum.)

What is the charge (both magnitude and sign) of the upper plate?

q =

2. Relevant equations
    Momentum Principle: Change of P = Fnet(t)
    Electric Force, F=qE (q is charge, E is electric field)
    Electric field of a plate? (I have no idea. Probably something like E=(Q/A)/Epsilon_0 where A is the area of the plate)

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I find the Fnet acting on the electron by dividing <0,4.80e-17,0> by .001 which in turn gives me <0,4.8e-14,0>N. I then plug it into F=qE, and find that E=-300000, (because q = -1.6e-19) But webassign tells me that is wrong. I also don't know how to find the charge of one of the plates.

Please help, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    Have you tried placing -3e5 into Webassign? I got mine right, and I used the same way as you, exactly. Webassign can be anal like that... Let me know if it works!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?