Electric field by infinite line of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Sam99
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given an infinitely long line of charge density λ extended along the x-axis, what is the electric field at a point X = x(x')+y(y')+z(z') (in space)?

Homework Equations



E = kq / r^2, dq = (lamda)dx

The Attempt at a Solution



dE = kλ ∫ [x(x')+y(y')+z(z')- x(x')] dx / [(y^2) +(z^2)]^(3/2) (integral from -∞ to +∞)

I end up getting 0 because -∞ + ∞ equals 0?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Sam99! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Sam99 said:
dE = kλ ∫ [x(x')+y(y')+z(z')- x(x')] dx / [(y2) +(z2)]3/2 (integral from -∞ to +∞)

shouldn't there be an x2 on the bottom also? :redface:
 
Thanks!
I don't think so because I'm using (x-x')/ |x-x'|^3.
would that be right?
 
yes, but there's still a difference in x, which has to go on the bottom