Electric Field - Charged Rod Question

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field E(x,0,0) at any point along the x-axis, given a charged rod with uniform charge per length and total charge Q placed along the z-axis. The equations given are two integrals, which are solved to be used in the equation E = ke integral of dq / r^2 unit vector r. The solution involves taking a small element dz at a distance z from the origin, and integrating the formula dE(x)=\frac{Kdq}{(x^2+z^2)} from 0 to \frac{Q}{\lambda}, where \lambda is the charge per unit length.
Physicus2

Homework Statement

A charged rod with uniform charge per length and total charge Q is placed along the z-axis with one end at the origin. The rod is located on the positive z-axis according the the diagram accompanying the problem (not shown). Find the electric field E(x,0,0) at any point along the x-axis.

Homework Equations

1) I have been given the integral x dx / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2.
2) I have been given a second integral dx / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I know I need to use those two integrals, I solved them first:

1) = - 1 / square root of (x^2 + a^2)
2) = x / a * square root of (x^2 + a^2)

I realize that the total field will be the vector sum of all the segments of the rod (and so I imagine that even though I'm solving for only the x component that it has more than just that). I believe that I need to use the equation E = ke integral of dq / r^2 unit vector r. In this, r is the distance from the charge element to a point and the unit vector r is directed "from the element toward the point." I've played around with this a bit, but I'm at a loss. I realize that I will need to use the two integrals (otherwise they wouldn't have been given in the problem), but I'm not sure where exactly I need to utilize them. I'm not sure where to go with the equation for E that I expect to need, either. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You take a small element dz at a distance z from the origin whose charge is [tex]dq=\lambda dz[/tex].
Then the electric field at a distance x on the x-axis is [tex]dE(x)=\frac{Kdq}{(x^2+z^2)}[/tex]. Integrate this from 0 to [tex]\frac{Q}{\lambda}[/tex] and that I think is your answer. Here, [tex]\lambda[/tex] is charge per unit length.

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have made a good start in solving this problem. As you mentioned, the total electric field at a point due to a charged rod can be found by summing the contributions from all the segments of the rod. This can be done using the equation E = ke integral of dq / r^2 unit vector r, where r is the distance from the charge element to the point of interest and the unit vector r is directed from the charge element towards the point.

In this problem, we can consider each segment of the rod as a small charge element dq, with a charge of dq = λ dx, where λ is the linear charge density and dx is the length of the segment. Therefore, the total charge Q can be written as an integral of λ dx along the length of the rod.

Now, to find the electric field at a point (x,0,0) along the x-axis, we can consider the contribution from each segment of the rod, which can be written as E = ke λ dx / r^2 unit vector r. Here, r is the distance from the segment to the point (x,0,0). As you have already found the integrals for 1/r^2 and x/r^2, you can use them to find the electric field at a point on the x-axis by integrating over the length of the rod.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where a charged particle experiences a force. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

2. How does an electric field affect charged particles?

Charged particles will experience a force when placed in an electric field. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. Positive charges will be pushed in the direction of the electric field, while negative charges will be pushed in the opposite direction.

3. What is a charged rod and how does it create an electric field?

A charged rod is a rod made of a conducting material that has a net positive or negative charge. When the rod is charged, it creates an electric field around it. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge on the rod and the distance from the rod.

4. How does the electric field created by a charged rod change with distance?

The electric field created by a charged rod follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the rod increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. The electric field also follows the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the rod.

5. Can the electric field created by a charged rod be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field created by a charged rod can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. Conducting materials, such as metal, can block the electric field by redistributing the charges on the surface of the material. Insulating materials, such as rubber, can partially shield the electric field by reducing its strength.