1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field density at the surface of a current carring wire

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the magnetic and electric energy densities at the surface of a 3.0 mm diameter copper wire carrying a 15-A current

2. Relevant equations
    uB=.5[tex]\frac{B2}{\mu0}[/tex]
    uE=.5[tex]\epsilon0[/tex]E2
    R=[tex]\rho[/tex](L/A)
    B=([tex]\mu0[/tex]I)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)
    [tex]\rho[/tex]=1.68 x 10^-8 ohm-meters
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so finding the magnetic energy density isn't too difficult. My problem is with the electric energy density. I can use the area of the wire and the fact that it's copper to find the resistance and then use ohm's law to find the voltage. but then I get in this bind. E=V/d, but at the surface of the wire, d=0 so you get V/0 which kind of implies infinity and this agrees with my thoughts anyway. However, I feel like this doesn't really make any sense in terms of an electric energy density. Does some one see where the reasoning is going wrong and how I can make it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2
    whoa....okay the equations got screwed up there. Hope you can understand them...B^2 is obviously the one in magnetic energy density, mu sub zero, E^2. Sorry about that folks.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    I've just realized that the same problem comes up with my magnetic field. So. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing and am in need of desperate help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook