1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field due to a FINITE cylinder of charge - Tricky binomial expansion

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Calculate the electric field at an axial point z of a thin, uniformly charged cylinder of charge density ρ , radius R, and length 2L. z is the distance measured from the center of the cylinder. (b) What becomes of your result in the event z >> L ?

2. Relevant equations

I found the answer to (a) by doing a triple integral and then double checked by integrating the equation for a disk of charge given in my textbook over the z-axis and came up with the same exact result. So I am quite confident this expression is correct. The image linked is my work to find the answer if this doesn't look right.

Ez = kq/R2L { 2L + √[ R2 + (z-L)2 ] - √[ R2 + (z+L)2 }

(As a 2nd check...i wrote the expression as kq/z2 { 2L + √[ R2 + (z-L)2 ] - √[ R2 + (z+L)2 } [ z2/R2L ] and in my calculator wrote a quick program to calculate the limit and sure enough...all that garbage on the right goes to 1 as z >> L and R.)

3. The attempt at a solution

This expression should reduce to kq/z2 because any charge distribution should mimic a point charge at large distances. The answer to the problem is some type of application of the binomial expansion which I cannot seem to figure out. Everything I try just leads to everything in the bracket except 2L to be zero. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Side Question: This expression is only valid for z outside the cylinder. To calculate z inside the cylinder...is it valid to use the previous integral but changing the bounds from -L to z, and then adding the second integral of the remaining part of the cylinder that is above the charge from z to L and adjusting the radius of dq accordingly, or is there a more simple way to do it?

Attached Files:

• cyl.jpg
      cyl.jpg
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello nnj3k. Welcome to PF !

Your expression,
    Ez = kq/(R2L) { 2L + √[ R2 + (z-L)2 ] - √[ R2 + (z+L)2 ] } ,​
    should include the parentheses I added to clearly indicate what's in the denominator.

One thing that may help you is to write everything in terms of z/L, since if z >> L, then z/L >> 1 .

For your Side Question: If 0 ≤ z < L,

Break the rod into two pieces.
    One piece has a length of 2(L-z) and extends from L-2(L-z) = 2z-L to L. The point, z, at which you're finding the E field is centered in this piece, so the E field, at z, due to this piece is zero.

The other piece extends from -L to 2z-L. Calculate the E field, at z, due to this piece. ​
    Symmetry is your friend!​

4. Feb 10, 2012 #3
    I imagine what you should get for z>>L is something like a point charge with a total charge equal to the charge over the cylinder.

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4
    I finally figured out what to do for the limit (it is far too much work for me to be arsed to explain though :P)...and thanks for the tip about symmetry!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook