Electric field due to a finite line of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
gboff21
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A line of length 2a on the y-axis centred in the middle of the x-axis with its ends at a and -a on the y axis, has been charged with charge Q. Work out the electric field at point x on the x axis.


Homework Equations


E=kdQ/r^2
dQ=Qdy/2a


The Attempt at a Solution


I have the answer in front of me: Qk*1/(x(x^2+a^2)^1/2)

I start with dE_x= kQxdy/2a(x^2+y^2)^3/2 (added the x component with x/(x^2+y^2)^1/2)
This integral is the bit I don't understand!

How do you integrate dy/(x^2+y^2)^1/2 ?
Apparently the answer is y/(x^2(x^2+y^2)^1/2). How does this work?

And it does give the correct answer if you follow it on. But How do you integrate that?


 
Physics news on Phys.org
To do this integral, use the substitution y = x tanθ and see what you get.