1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field due to a Ring of Charge

1. Jul 9, 2006 #1
    I've been stuck on this problem for awhile now..

At what distance along the central axis of a ring of radius R and uniform charge is the magnitude of the electric field due to the ring's charge maximum?

Now, I know that the equation for this problem is E = [k|qz|] / [(z^2+R^2)^3/2], which is the electric field magnitude of a charged ring. And to get the maximum, you have to find where the first derivative of the equation where it equals zero.

But when I take the derivative of the equation, I get a complete mess not even close to the answer. Can anyone give me some hints or a push in the right direction? Is my thinking incorrect? Thanks. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2006 #2
    It's a straighforward problem, and your approcah is right. If you could just post your work, we can try to help you out.
  4. Jul 9, 2006 #3
    Thanks, confirming that I was going in the right direction was all I needed. I eventually did get the answer, but with some difficultly thanks to my poor algebra skills. :)
  5. Sep 17, 2011 #4
    In this problem we do not know E and we are looking for z correct? I do not know how to deal with this problem of having two unknowns. I am given R but that is all.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?