Electric Field for a line of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
VitaX
Messages
183
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



rh1glv.png


Homework Equations



E = λ/2π*r*ε0 (Line of charge)

The Attempt at a Solution



E1 = E2 = 0

I can set each equation equal to each other and have 2π*ε0 cancel out on both sides. Leaving me with: λ1/r1 = λ2/r2. My problem now is that I'm not sure what to use for the r values. What expression and how to incorporate L into it. I tried .17 - r on one side leaving the other side as simply r and my value for r was .56 which is way too large since it exceeds L. What do you suggest I use for my expression for r on each side?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the electric field at position x0 along the x-axis:

How far is x0 from Line 1, which is at x = -L/2 ?
At position x = x0, what is the direction of the E field produced bu Line 1?

How far is x0 from Line 2, which is at x = +L/2 ?
At position x = x0, what is the direction of the E field produced bu Line 2?
 
SammyS said:
To find the electric field at position x0 along the x-axis:

How far is x0 from Line 1, which is at x = -L/2 ?
At position x = x0, what is the direction of the E field produced bu Line 1?

How far is x0 from Line 2, which is at x = +L/2 ?
At position x = x0, what is the direction of the E field produced bu Line 2?

-.085 - x = x0 for Line 1
.085 - x = x0 for Line 2

Should it be .17 instead of .085?

So ur saying to plug these values in for r and solve for x and that is my answer?
 
x0 is the x-coordinate at which you want to evaluate the E field.

Suppose x0 = 5 cm. How far is x0 from Line 1? In other words, how far is x = 5 cm from x = -8.5 cm?

For Line 2: How far is x = 5 cm from x = +8.5 cm?

Your formulas don't seem to give the right answers for these questions.
 
SammyS said:
x0 is the x-coordinate at which you want to evaluate the E field.

Suppose x0 = 5 cm. How far is x0 from Line 1? In other words, how far is x = 5 cm from x = -8.5 cm?

For Line 2: How far is x = 5 cm from x = +8.5 cm?

Your formulas don't seem to give the right answers for these questions.

I don't understand why they would be wrong. It says in the hint use the derived equation for an electric field produced by a long line charge, which I noted in the original post. Are you saying I can't set these equations equal to each other?

To answer your question it would be: 5-8.5 = 13.5 so I guess I could say x - L/2 = R1. And L/2 - x = R2 right?

But are you saying that E1 = E2 = 0 can't be done?
 
VitaX said:
I don't understand why they would be wrong. It says in the hint use the derived equation for an electric field produced by a long line charge, which I noted in the original post. Are you saying I can't set these equations equal to each other?

To answer your question it would be: 5-8.5 = 13.5 so I guess I could say x - L/2 = R1. And L/2 - x = R2 right?

But are you saying that E1 = E2 = 0 can't be done?

How is 5 minus 8.5 equal to 13.5 ? 5 - (-8.5) = 13.5.

So, x - (-L/2) = R1 is the distance that x is from Line 1; (This should be |x - (-L/2)| = R1)

and L/2 - x = R2 is the distance that x is from Line 2. (This should be |L/2 - x| = R2)

Notice: R1 + R2 = L, if x is between Line 1 and Line 2.

I'm NOT saying "E1 = E2 can't be done"?. It can be done. However what you really need is that their magnitudes are equal but their signs are opposite.

Can that happen any place between Line 1 & Line 2? Why can't it happen there? -- and it definitely can't.
 
SammyS said:
How is 5 minus 8.5 equal to 13.5 ? 5 - (-8.5) = 13.5.

So, x - (-L/2) = R1 is the distance that x is from Line 1; (This should be |x - (-L/2)| = R1)

and L/2 - x = R2 is the distance that x is from Line 2. (This should be |L/2 - x| = R2)

Notice: R1 + R2 = L, if x is between Line 1 and Line 2.

I'm NOT saying "E1 = E2 can't be done"?. It can be done. However what you really need is that their magnitudes are equal but their signs are opposite.

Can that happen any place between Line 1 & Line 2? Why can't it happen there? -- and it definitely can't.

My bad on the typo. And yeah I understand that the magnitudes have to equal one another. So I guess I could write E1 = -E2 or vice versa. I thought that for the net electric field to be zero, it has to be between Line 1 and 2. So now you are saying that it can't happen there and has to be outside of those boundaries?

How is this:

λ1/r1 = - λ2/r2 where r1 = x - (-L/2) and r2 = L/2 - x and solve for x.
 
VitaX said:
My bad on the typo. And yeah I understand that the magnitudes have to equal one another. So I guess I could write E1 = -E2 or vice versa. I thought that for the net electric field to be zero, it has to be between Line 1 and 2. So now you are saying that it can't happen there and has to be outside of those boundaries?

How is this:

λ1/r1 = - λ2/r2 where r1 = x - (-L/2) and r2 = L/2 - x and solve for x.

If x > L/2, then L/2 - x < 0, therefore, r2 = x - L/2, to the right of Line 2.

The reason that the electric field can't be zero between the line charges is that E1 points away from Line 1, and E2 points towards from Line 2. In between, they both point to the riht.
 
SammyS said:
If x > L/2, then L/2 - x < 0, therefore, r2 = x - L/2, to the right of Line 2.

The reason that the electric field can't be zero between the line charges is that E1 points away from Line 1, and E2 points towards from Line 2. In between, they both point to the riht.

I'm a bit confused at how the you figure out the direction of the E fields based on the placement of the charge. How exactly do you know that if the point were in between, both lines would point to the right?