Electric Field from two lines of charge on the y-axis.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
ArtemRose
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I was given this assignment for homework, and got it wrong, but now I'm studying for the first exam, and I still can't find out where I went awry. The problem is:

A charge per unit length λ = +8.00 μC/m is uniformly distributed along the positive y-axis from y = 0 to y = +a = +0.500 m. A charge per unit length λ = -8.00 μC/m, is uniformly distributed along the negative y-axis from y = 0 to y = –a = -0.500 m. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a point on the x-axis a distance x = 0.371 m from the origin?

1.567×105 N/C This being the answer I am supposed to get.

Homework Equations


Now, I know that I can find this using the calculus with dE=k*(dq/r^2) dy

The Attempt at a Solution



Now, set the equation to be dE=k*lambda*y/(y^2 + (.371)^2)^(3/2) dy

Then when I took the derivative, it would be then E=k*lambda/(sqrt(y^2 + (.371)^2) + Constant

And then I plug in for y, but it's nowhere near the right answer. Where am I going wrong? I've tried another method to solve for line of charge
[ ((k*8e-6)/.371)*(.5/sqrt(.5^2 + .371^2)) ] (that is, [ ((k*lambda)/x)*(y/sqrt(y^2 + x^2)) ] equaling the E Field.
without using calculus, and that gave me an answer within the bounds, but I didn't have to double it when it should be giving me only the answer for one of the lines of charge, so that makes me doubt that method.

Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi rose

you can consider two different segments...one from y=0 to y=0.5 which has positive charge and one from y=0 to y=-0.5 which has negative charge. then the problem reduces to find the magnitude of the E due to these two configurations at point P (say) on the x-axis and then add them with proper signs...for each of the segment, the point P is at some distance from one end of the segment... you need to find the x and y components of the total electric field
at point P due to both the segments... for example the x component would be given by

[tex]E_x=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int_0^L \frac{\lambda\,dy}{(y^2+x^2)}\cos{\theta}[/tex]

where [tex]\cos{\theta}=\frac{x}{(y^2+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
a
where [itex]\lambda[/itex] would be line charge density and x is the distance of the point P from the origin and y is the distance of the differential element dy from the origin. L in each case would be 0.5...

that may help a bit