Electric Field Inside a Conductor Using Gauss's Law

In summary, a question is presented about finding the Electric Field strength at a point 4cm from the center of a hollow metal sphere with given inner and outer radii. The surface charge density on the inside surface is -300nC/m^2 and on the exterior surface is +300nC/m^2. Attempts are made to solve the problem using an integral and rearranging equations, but it is determined that more information is needed about the distribution of charge in order to find the E field.
SamuelLittle

Homework Statement

A hollow metal sphere has 7cm and 9cm inner and outer radii, respectively. The surface charge density on the inside surface is - 300nC/m^2</units> . The surface charge density on the exterior surface is + 300nC/m^2</units> .

What is the strength of the Electric Field at a point 4cm from the center.

Homework Equations

∫EXda= Qin/εo

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty lost on how to solve this question. I initially tried to follow steps my prof did on a previous, similar example, but he was solving for charge while this is clearly asking for Electric Field strength.

I thought perhaps I could integrate to get E.A= Qin/εo and then rearrange for E= Qin/(Axεo) and then solve for E but I got a ridiculous number. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
SamuelLittle said:
I thought perhaps I could integrate to get E.A= Qin/εo
Yeah, that's the right idea. What Gaussian surface are you using? And from that, what is the enclosed charge?

p.s. welcome to physicsforums :)

That sounds a little strange. If there is a surface charge on the inside of the sphere then there must also be another charge around that they haven't mentioned. I don't think you are going to be able to determine the E field at 4cm unless you make some assumptions about how that charge is distributed.

What is Gauss's Law and how does it relate to electric fields inside a conductor?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the charge enclosed by a surface around that point. For a conductor, the electric field inside is always zero due to the redistribution of charges on its surface.

Why is the electric field inside a conductor zero?

The electric field inside a conductor is zero because of the principle of electrostatic equilibrium. When a conductor is placed in an external electric field, the charges inside the conductor redistribute themselves in such a way that the resulting electric field inside is zero.

Does the shape or size of the conductor affect the electric field inside?

The shape or size of the conductor does not affect the electric field inside. As long as the conductor is in electrostatic equilibrium, the electric field inside will always be zero, regardless of the shape or size of the conductor.

What happens to the electric field inside a conductor if a charge is placed inside it?

If a charge is placed inside a conductor, the electric field inside remains zero. However, the charges on the surface of the conductor will redistribute to compensate for the presence of the charge. This redistribution creates an electric field outside the conductor, but the electric field inside remains zero.

Can Gauss's Law be used to determine the electric field inside an irregularly shaped conductor?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to determine the electric field inside an irregularly shaped conductor. As long as the conductor is in electrostatic equilibrium, the electric field inside will be zero, regardless of the shape. The charge enclosed by the surface can be calculated using the charge density of the conductor, and this can be used to determine the electric field at any point inside the conductor.