1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Inside a Conductor Using Gauss's Law

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hollow metal sphere has 7cm and 9cm inner and outer radii, respectively. The surface charge density on the inside surface is - 300nC/m^2</units> . The surface charge density on the exterior surface is + 300nC/m^2</units> .

What is the strength of the Electric Field at a point 4cm from the center.

2. Relevant equations
    ∫EXda= Qin/εo

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty lost on how to solve this question. I initially tried to follow steps my prof did on a previous, similar example, but he was solving for charge while this is clearly asking for Electric Field strength.

I thought perhaps I could integrate to get E.A= Qin/εo and then rearrange for E= Qin/(Axεo) and then solve for E but I got a ridiculous number. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yeah, that's the right idea. What Gaussian surface are you using? And from that, what is the enclosed charge?

p.s. welcome to physicsforums :)

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds a little strange. If there is a surface charge on the inside of the sphere then there must also be another charge around that they haven't mentioned. I don't think you are going to be able to determine the E field at 4cm unless you make some assumptions about how that charge is distributed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook