• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Electric Field Inside a Conductor Using Gauss's Law

1. Homework Statement

A hollow metal sphere has 7cm and 9cm inner and outer radii, respectively. The surface charge density on the inside surface is - 300nC/m^2</units> . The surface charge density on the exterior surface is + 300nC/m^2</units> .

What is the strength of the Electric Field at a point 4cm from the center.

2. Homework Equations
∫EXda= Qin/εo

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty lost on how to solve this question. I initially tried to follow steps my prof did on a previous, similar example, but he was solving for charge while this is clearly asking for Electric Field strength.

I thought perhaps I could integrate to get E.A= Qin/εo and then rearrange for E= Qin/(Axεo) and then solve for E but I got a ridiculous number. Any ideas?

BruceW

Homework Helper
I thought perhaps I could integrate to get E.A= Qin/εo
Yeah, that's the right idea. What Gaussian surface are you using? And from that, what is the enclosed charge?

p.s. welcome to physicsforums :)

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That sounds a little strange. If there is a surface charge on the inside of the sphere then there must also be another charge around that they haven't mentioned. I don't think you are going to be able to determine the E field at 4cm unless you make some assumptions about how that charge is distributed.